Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm alright - First mix
Hey everyone,

This is my first mix ever. I`m a live sound guy, and I wanna start doing studio stuff. Lots to learn!

.mp3    ImAlright .mp3 --  (Download: 3.41 MB)

I just noticed now, that since I boosted the high end, during the verses, the percussion channel comes right in your face.
Hi!

Percussion is supposed to be in your face, isn't it?
Sorry... brief flashback to my days in marching band...

I'm glad the folks here recommended this for newcommers. It's actually not a bad tune and that makes mixing more fun!

So I like what I hear overall. A couple of comments though.

Is it just me or does this tune have one leg shorter than the other? It seems to be leaning over to the right a bit. I'd probably also suggest cutting back on the high end on the overheads. Those cymbals will come through very well without the hiss that comes with the 10k+ tones. Play around with the EQ on those for a while and listen to what happens when you boost or reduce that range then listen to some of your favorite tunes and compare sound.

I also question whether the vocals have been over compressed. They seem to lack presence.
I like that little echo on the chorus but wonder if maybe you might ponder having that only be on the first "I'm Alright" rather than both to keep it from becoming redundant, but that's just my inclination there and everyone will have different ideas.

Congrats on the first pass! May there be many more mixes to come!
Old West Audio
Hey man, thanx for your comment!!! I boosted the high end after mixing, and I think I overdid it. And the echo, at first I had it in envery chorus, than took it after the bridge only, but maybe you're right, maybe I should take it our even more. Thanx!!
Welcome to the fun. Sounds like you got good advice Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(25-05-2014, 12:16 AM)Ricardo Camargo Wrote: Hey man, thanx for your comment!!! I boosted the high end after mixing, and I think I overdid it. And the echo, at first I had it in envery chorus, than took it after the bridge only, but maybe you're right, maybe I should take it our even more. Thanx!!

I only say that because I like variance. As human beings, we tend to like to see everything in balance but sometimes the best art is actually off center and not symmetrical. It's something I have always tried to keep in mind in things I've been doing, beit music, photography, whatever. So now I pass along that observation to you and hope it will serve you as well as it has me (but like everything, just don't overdo it!)

By the same token, I try to avoid anything that sounds formulaic. For example, there's a popular composer of sacred choral works that came to the forefront a few years back. At first, his music was very moving and quite powerful. Then you realized that when it came to the grandiose works, it was all the same. Soft first verse, usually with only men or only women, then the second verse usually with the opposite, then everyone together, then key change up for the fourth verse, key change up for the chorus maybe also with a key change *in* the chorus, and then key change back down to a reprise of the main line to reduce the volume and wind it down to a gentle conclusion. It was all just the same... and got boring after a while. He's not quite as popular as he used to be. So I have been cautious of avoiding such things in what I do. Sometimes the best changes are very subtle ones, changing color or taking a slightly staccato part and adding in a different instrument with a more legato counterpoint or throwing on a feathery but thinly scored descant over the top to give punctuation to the statement you're making. That sort of thing.
Old West Audio