Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Constructive Feedback on My Mix of W.A. Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 12 K414
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm thrilled to share with you my mix of Andrey Yaroshinsky & The Gnessin Academy Chamber Orchestra's rendition of W.A. Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 12 K414 (Allegro).

As someone relatively new to mixing classical orchestral music, I've tried to bring a fresh perspective to this piece. I've used the Haas effect (stereo delays) on mono channels for more realistic panning. Volume automation was written on the master channel. All instruments were divided into three groups - foreground, middle, and background. They were then sent to three different reverbs with slightly different settings. The balance between the main stereo pair and the hall was changed depending on the dynamics of the composition to give more depth  and width in loud places.

I'm posting my work here to seek your valuable feedback. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the mix, the effects used, the balance of the instruments, and the overall feel of the piece.

Please feel free to share your constructive criticism and suggestions. Your feedback will not only help me improve this particular mix but also aid in my overall growth as a sound engineer.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts. I look forward to reading your comments and engaging in enriching discussions.

Best regards, Ihar

.mp3    Andrey Yaroshinsky & The Gnessin Academy Chamber Orchestra_ W.A. Mozart\'s Piano Concerto No. 12 K414 (Allegro).mp3 --  (Download: 23.86 MB)

Hello Ihar.

An interesting approach, to be sure and I believe you have achieved what you have stated. I do feel there are some consequences to your approach, though.
With the normal amounts of bleed in each of the section mics and pairs, adding delay seems to have caused some phase issues in places in your mix. Can you explain what you were trying to achieve with these? I am also hearing a flattening of dynamics especially on the piano and especially on the low end of the piano. It feels a bit mushy. I think your front, middle and rear grouping is very interesting and would like to hear more about that. I hear it enhancing the low end of the hall and adding space. Please don't get me wrong, your presentation is nicely balanced and an enjoyable listen. There are nuances in your mix not in mine or others. That is the privilege of having freedom to express your musical ideas with a great piece of music.

I would like to know what compression you applied and where and the character of your three reverbs. I would also like to hear about your panning choices.

Good work.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]