Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fytakyte: 'Too Much (Brady85 mix)
what a cool song ! recorded very well.

Did a quick mix, will probably fix some stuff later on.

--------------------------------------
V2 mix:

made the drums a little bigger and added a little more ambience.
Lowered the drums a little in the mix.
worked on the low end.
gave the vocals a little more space in the mix
pushed the master bus a few db less

----------------------------------

V3 mix

added a little more attack on the drums
worked on the midrange 
I made some changes to the main vocals
removed the strings

Please let me know what you think. Big Grin

.mp3    Too much.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

.mp3    Too much v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

.mp3    Too much v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.66 MB)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
The drums sound quite "small" which isn't the type of sound I would go for in this song, but this isn't wrong, it's just a matter of taste. I think maybe you tried to make up for this by making them louder, because they are quite loud with snare being the main focus in the mix. Which is probably what makes the vocals sound pushed back in the mix too much. Certain kick hits push your master compressor too hard or something, because there's a significant drop in volume ie. 1:36 at "he looked" 2:15 at kick+crash hit

But everything's audible which means it's balanced and the tone is good and that's what matters the most.
Overall I think it's an OK mix which needs some more polishing Smile
(03-06-2023, 07:00 PM)vovolan Wrote: The drums sound quite "small" which isn't the type of sound I would go for in this song, but this isn't wrong, it's just a matter of taste. I think maybe you tried to make up for this by making them louder, because they are quite loud with snare being the main focus in the mix. Which is probably what makes the vocals sound pushed back in the mix too much. Certain kick hits push your master compressor too hard or something, because there's a significant drop in volume ie. 1:36 at "he looked" 2:15 at kick+crash hit

But everything's audible which means it's balanced and the tone is good and that's what matters the most.
Overall I think it's an OK mix which needs some more polishing Smile
thank you for the tips! I made a more polished version, not happy with it yet but it's better.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Oh yeah I like the second one better, the fuller, darker drums, more compressed snare. Overall darker tone. Now the mids can be a bit overwhelming tho, but those are surgical cuts of 1-2db here and there

The second one is what I'd say is a good mix.
made a new version and fixed some more stuff
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro