Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fytakyte - Too Much
Yeah I agree - sometimes it works out ok on the same track and with the same processing, sometimes it doesn't. I can't say the sound of it really bothers me that much personally, but I got your point about it sounding a bit thin, and automating the eq boost I'd added was just a quick fix for now.

I had already realised with all the processing getting the snare somewhat right, it had got to the point where if I wanted to change the side stick sound more it I'd have to move it to another track and spend a while fiddling with it as you suggest. The eq automation was just a quick fix for now. I need to give my ears a bit of break from playing around with the mix a bit already before I tackle it properly.

It actually doesn't sound too bad if you mute the snare mic during the side stick parts.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(08-06-2023, 06:25 PM)mikej Wrote: It actually doesn't sound too bad if you mute the snare mic during the side stick parts.

Cheers!
Yeah. I've done that at times in the past. Sometimes you get enough stick in the other mics, mostly overheads and it feels more natural that way. I must admit the stick might be a little too quiet in 1.7 but I prefer it to the bright tone.

I didn't do it much on this track but one of the first things I do when setting up is move parts to different tracks to work on them differently. Like, a guitar track that plays arpeggios and power chords and a solo will get split, the vocal might get split between the verse and chorus. etc. Personally I just find it easier to deal with that way. Though I'm still bad with automation since I never had it at the start so I guess that's part of it.

I dunno. I think I'm either burnt out on this song or my ears are going or maybe it's the bad air quality from Canada but I keep thinking I hear this one differently from everyone else and I can't get proper perspective on it. Oh well.

1.7 sounds pretty good with a casual listen. I'm not a huge fan of the bridge. I like the idea of going to a different vocal tone, though it might be a little biting for my taste. Though, again, I might just be fatigued. And the delay is a little distracting at that level. All minor points.
Regarding splitting the tracks up, and automation,etc, I just do whatever I find easiest or whatever works at the time really. It's all pretty easy to do and there are lots of options these days with automation, effects regions, per clip effects or whatever.

Regarding the overall sound of the mix - I suppose it really depends on what style of mix you are going for really. The library mix is actually surprisingly loud, modern and punchy. I think you'd have to go some to match that. Doesn't the earlier Fytakyte stuff on here lean more torwards a cooler 70's vibe from memory?

Comparing mixes - it can be quite revealing if you listen to all the different mixes set at roughly the same volume level in the daw, rather than through the web browser.

I think there's a few things that maybe everyone is struggling with a bit, like the low end on the kick and bass, and also the snare sound. It's interesting, as it should be quite a straightforward mix on the face of it. Seems it's perhaps a bit more challenging though!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(08-06-2023, 07:40 PM)mikej Wrote: Regarding splitting the tracks up, and automation,etc, I just do whatever I find easiest or whatever works at the time really.  It's all pretty easy to do and there are lots of options these days with automation, effects regions, per clip effects or whatever.

Regarding the overall sound of the mix - I suppose it really depends on what style of mix you are going for really.  The library mix is actually surprisingly loud, modern and punchy.  I think you'd have to go some to match that.  Doesn't the earlier Fytakyte stuff on here lean more torwards a cooler 70's vibe from memory?

Comparing mixes - it can be quite revealing if you listen to all the different mixes set at roughly the same volume level in the daw, rather than through the web browser.

I think there's a few things that maybe everyone is struggling with a bit, like the low end on the kick and bass, and also the snare sound.  It's interesting, as it should be quite a straightforward mix on the face of it.  Seems it's perhaps a bit more challenging though!

Cheers!
Yeah, I mostly download mixes in to listen to them. It's just easier to get the right playback level that way. It's partly why I try to put my name in the file just in case someone does the same. Sometimes I forget who's mix is who if I have a number downloaded at once.
Hi!

Added mix 1.8.

Friday lunchtime. Made some changes as suggested (thanks!):

Moved sidestick sections to new track for seperate processing to snare sound. Reduced delay on bridge vocal. Increased volume of hammond part a touch.

Cheers!
(09-06-2023, 01:46 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Added mix 1.8. 

Friday lunchtime. Made some changes as suggested (thanks!):

Moved sidestick sections to new track for seperate processing to snare sound.  Reduced delay on bridge vocal.  Increased volume of hammond part a touch.

Cheers!
Checked out 1.8. All those sections feel like an improvement. That's a poorly worded sentence but you get the gist.