Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M.E.R.C. - Knockout (mane mix)
Here are my attempts at this track...

Quite challenging for my skill level, specially given the bad quality of some of the samples and multitude of tracks. Replacing the kick was an improvement upon the distorted turd I had come up with with the original. The snare layering was tricky too.. make it present but big but not mask the vocals huh... Many vocals, and I'm not so familiar with vocal processing, but CLA's Vocal plugin made it easy to go 'good enough'. Tubas, Horns, Violin.. these guys almost dropped the kitchen sink in there too.. maybe that's where the kick drum sample came from?.. Had fun layering those and fitting them into their pockets, trying to keep the warmth without muddying things up. There isn't much automation if at all, maybe just some FX levels, but prob should have played more with that. At the end I just added some L2 maximizer for gain, cause I only have that old classic of a limiter.

Feedback welcome, i promise to give some feedback in exchange!

btw my prev account was 'hotpants' but now i'm posting from this one, cheers!
- v2.2 - June 06.2024
- v2.3 - June 11.2024 - More punch on the kick, lowered low end a bit to increase mids and highs and allowed me to raise the track a couple of dbs on the limiter, played a bit with the bg vocals stereo placement, also cleaned up the session as it was a bit messy!
- v2.3.1b - June 13.2024 - Ok i'm getting obsessed here. Last version. Re-balanced back things a bit, went too far last version. Vocals were too loud. Played with the kick-bass parallel compression to tighten up the low end, i think it helped. Tried to give it a more smiley curve to the mixbus EQ. Crazy how things may sound fine until you tune them a bit more.

.mp3    M.E.R.C. - Knockcout (mane mix) v2.2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

.mp3    M.E.R.C. - Knockcout (mane mix) v2.3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

.mp3    M.E.R.C. - Knockcout (mane mix) v2.3.1b.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)