Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Broken Again MortenRa Mix
Did a mix of this one, kinda like the vibe something between X files and Deftones  Big Grin  
I think Daimon is getting better at arrangement and sounds course this one fits together beautifully kudos!.
Thaks for sharing
Cheers

.mp3    Another Life MortenRa Mix.v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.16 MB)

I totally agree with you about his progression, it's a banger song!

Now, bear in mind that I'm a beginner at mixing, so take what I'm saying with a healthy heap of salt -- but in terms of the mix, I really like how the snare cuts through -- it's got a real snap to it, like those pork pie snares on classic 00's nu metal records. Guitars sound really good too, wide and clear.

The vocals feel a bit too wet at times, though: in the verses it drowns a bit underneath the instruments and ambience. The spread of the background vocals help make the vocals a lot more legible, so after the first verse it stops being much of an issue, and the choruses sound good. My suggestion would be to either make the vocals less roomy in the first verse so you've got more headroom to just up the vocal volume a bit before the backing vocals come through, or just raise the volume if you've got the headroom.

The shouts/screams sound a bit burried in the mix too, and a bit spiky in terms of dynamics. I would personally compress them hard, or even just clip or distort them to give them that aggressive edge, and make it louder, more prominent in the mix. The last chorus should for this song, in my view, be the loudest, most angsty and desperate, and the screams fit that aesthetic really well.

Finally, there's something about the bass that sounds a bit hollow to my ears, but I'm not good enough at frequencies to tell you what to fix with that. Maybe it's that I'm expecting it to be more distorted than it is? Not sure, sorry I can't provide any useful feedback here.

Overall, it's a good mix to my ears; thank you for sharing it!