Discussion Zone
FytaKyte_TooMuch - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Fytakyte: 'Too Much' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=940)
+---- Thread: FytaKyte_TooMuch (/showthread.php?tid=46802)

Pages: 1 2

FytaKyte_TooMuch - Tambo Man - 04-06-2023

Fun song to mix, Went for the drums to be loud but not in your face. They kinda sound snapped to grid and to me at least, when the kick is snappy and forward, it makes the sound too in front of the beat. The tom section after the solo seems to groove more. i suspect less snapping to grid there.

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Quathamer - 07-06-2023

Yo,

Interesting comment about the kit sounding as if its snapped to the grid, because I found that it wasn't even close. I spent a good while just snapping stuff to the grid, especially the drums. But I also needed to snap all the other rhythm instruments to the grid as well, like the bass, acoustics and rhythm guitars. Made a massive difference.

Good mix, by the way. It's a nice earthy mix, and I like where you put the drums. Tasteful effects as well. I'm personally a big fan of hard panning instruments one side and effects on the other (especially guitars).

Has your mix been mastered?

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Tambo Man - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 05:18 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Yo,

Interesting comment about the kit sounding as if its snapped to the grid, because I found that it wasn't even close. I spent a good while just snapping stuff to the grid, especially the drums. But I also needed to snap all the other rhythm instruments to the grid as well, like the bass, acoustics and rhythm guitars. Made a massive difference.

Good mix, by the way. It's a nice earthy mix, and I like where you put the drums. Tasteful effects as well. I'm personally a big fan of hard panning instruments one side and effects on the other (especially guitars).

Has your mix been mastered?

Hey quathamer thanks for the feedback back!
you know I thought I may be eating my words with that comment. It came to mind when first listening to mike seniors mix. Never investigated it though   Confused
I hear you on the effects, as of late I’ve been messing with the CLA four delays and verbs thing. 
that along with mixing at 96k pretty much smashes the cpu for adding additional panned effects. 
I’m going to see if panning the sends opposite the guits helps with that. 

it’s not mastered professionally, just stuff on the master buss.  
The chain is an EQ doing a few small cuts into a compressor then a pultec EQ with a small, low and high boost, going into another EQ, then a clipper and finally tapping a limiter. Also, running a parallel compressor on the master that’s slightly mixed in. 

Cheers! 

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Quathamer - 08-06-2023

Cool. I do some similar work on my 2 buss, but I do subtle work and a little more of it.

For my 2 buss, I first put on a comp with slow attack fast release (1.5db reduction at the most), then it's mostly EQ work. I do some critical work on an FFQ3 EQ (no more than 1db changes), then multi-band trickery to clean up my bass frequencies (1db at the most). Then I go into an elysia museq to shape the low-mids, then into a klanghelm MJUCjr (free comp) to warm up the signal a bit (no gain reduction - just a pass through). Then I go into an SPL passive EQ to do a final boost of the low lows and the high highs. Then a DeEsser to catch the high-transients in the sum-channel (1.5bd). Then into an L2 to nip the transients (1.5db at the most). By the time I get to the L2, I find that I can easily get the level to -8 LUFS, without the need for a clipper.

I used to use a clipper before the limiter, and still do for some circumstances (like I have drum-focussed mix), but I don't like clipping if I can avoid it, because it can sometimes turn my kicks and bass into farts.

So, this sounds like a lot, but it's all so subtle that only when everything is put together do you get a really nice mastered sound that doesn't take away from the tone or vibe of the mix. It also doesn't do so much that it tries to "fix the mix"

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Tambo Man - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 01:25 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Cool. I do some similar work on my 2 buss, but I do subtle work and a little more of it.

For my 2 buss, I first put on a comp with slow attack fast release (1.5db reduction at the most), then it's mostly EQ work. I do some critical work on an FFQ3 EQ (no more than 1db changes), then multi-band trickery to clean up my bass frequencies (1db at the most). Then I go into an elysia museq to shape the low-mids, then into a klanghelm MJUCjr (free comp) to warm up the signal a bit (no gain reduction - just a pass through). Then I go into an SPL passive EQ to do a final boost of the low lows and the high highs. Then a DeEsser to catch the high-transients in the sum-channel (1.5bd). Then into an L2 to nip the transients (1.5db at the most). By the time I get to the L2, I find that I can easily get the level to -8 LUFS, without the need for a clipper.

I used to use a clipper before the limiter, and still do for some circumstances (like I have drum-focussed mix), but I don't like clipping if I can avoid it, because it can sometimes turn my kicks and bass into farts.

So, this sounds like a lot, but it's all so subtle that only when everything is put together do you get a really nice mastered sound that doesn't take away from the tone or vibe of the mix. It also doesn't do so much that it tries to "fix the mix"
Ah I don’t think that’s a lot. As the saying goes “ if it sounds good it is good” or something to that effect. 

When I changed to 96k it forced me to do less. I changed because for some reason the bx 9000 sounds much better ( more open and smother highs.) It’s also been a blessing too. I haven’t needed to do as much on the two buss now. It’s been crave eq doing a hipass with a few small cuts into the kive distressor ( clean, no distortions added and mix knob to 95% ish for cleaner attack sound) to the free AA pultec ( pre amp bypassed) then another crave eq, then the clipper. After that it goes a efx send with another compressor mixed in a little. On the master buss is the limiter followed by an airwindows dither ( in Presonus there’s the option to turn off the DAWs dithering). I don’t usually mix into these, they get turned on as the mix progresses. 

I’ll have to try the MJUC on the master. It always lands on ld vox and bass. 
the clipper thing is touchy for sure, for lots of reasons. I try to keep it dialed down but ear fatigue can hamper the situation. However, what it really means is my mixing chops aren’t quite up to par lol. 
Going to give the deesser a shot too. My mixes have been a bit sharp lately.

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Mixinthecloud - 09-06-2023

With songs this well produced it is easy to offer unlimited numbers of valid interpretations. This is an excellent example. A very well stated and organic mix.

I will third the MJUCjr plugin (the free one). It has been part of my bass guitar chain for quite some time, although not in this mix. It is a great tool along with their paid versions.

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Roy - 09-06-2023

The mix works for me.

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Tambo Man - 13-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 07:19 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: With songs this well produced it is easy to offer unlimited numbers of valid interpretations. This is an excellent example. A very well stated and organic mix.

I will third the MJUCjr plugin (the free one). It has been part of my bass guitar chain for quite some time, although not in this mix. It is a great tool along with their paid versions.

(09-06-2023, 11:43 PM)Roy Wrote: The mix works for me.
thanks guys, much apreciated.

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - Tambo Man - 20-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 09:46 AM)Jambon-beurre Wrote: Insanely crushed and messy.
Well “insanely crushed” you may be surprised at how little compression there is. as I stated in an earlier comment I feel I hit the clipper to hard. Maybe that’s what you’re hearing. Messy, that’s a very vague statement. Just to putt this mix in perspective I was going for the 90s grunge vibe. Is the mix to loud and mid forward? Perhaps. But I liked the way it felt. I spent over 30 year’s performing with bands so I tend to mix from that perspective. 

cheers

RE: FytaKyte_TooMuch - vovolan - 22-06-2023

I think the 'insanely crushed' comment may refer to the obvious distortion on drums (or drums causing the distortion somewhere in the chain), mostly with certain kick hits and cymbals, you can hear that ie. 2:08 kick+crash or later 2:21 when the cymbals come in they're all buzzing hot. I don't think it's "Insanely crushed" thou, just.. a bit Smile

But I like your mix. What I don't like is the snare that's very exposed and feels spacious (reverb?) which I think steals too much of listeners attention, but if that's what you wanted then it's all good

4 stars from me