Discussion Zone
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Fytakyte: 'Too Much' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=940)
+---- Thread: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch (/showthread.php?tid=46796)

Pages: 1 2

Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - Quathamer - 04-06-2023

Yoooooo,

Brah it's so good to see a little more of Andrew's stuff on this forum for us to work and discuss on. Andrew if you're listening ... I love you. 

Also, fun fact, Fytakyte was some of the first stuff I mixed here and got me into mixing a little more outside of live audio. So thanks again Andrew!

Any comments, please let me know. This was a pretty rough first (maybe only) mix with no automation apart from a few pulls and pushes of mix busses.

** Edit **
I've added my raw 2 buss print for anyone who wants to hear what I did to the overall mix without any mastering. 
As part of the mixing process, I treat my 2 buss to enhance the sonic quality and dynamic quality. I use minimal compression for glue and to bring up low level subtle noises that add texture to the mix. 
I also like to master my mix as part of the mixing process in order to hear what my mix will sound like after it's been mastered. Why? Because mastering will always bring up low noises (such as hiss, reverbs) as well as wide spectrum instruments such as electric guitars. 
With the raw stem, you'll notice things like the drums being too loud, and the vocal being too loud. This is a natural side-effect of pre-mastered audio because the master will hopefully glue it all together quite nicely -- hence the reason why mastering needs to be part of the mixing process -- so you can hear how your track will sound mastered. 
To hear the before and after of the raw mix and the mastered mix, I've posted both.

** Edit **
Added mix 2
The mix was sounding a little flat dynamically, so fixed that.
Also lowered and separated the lead vocals from the rest of the mix a little with some side-chain trickery.

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - SonicTramp - 06-06-2023

In the beginning I thought the kick was a little loud, but deeper in the song, it sounds pretty nice. Both the snare and the kick have the snap I love so much. I wish the rim stick would be louder to keep the part roll in momentum. Very nice vocal, a little close but it's rock and roll, right? The ac guitars in the solo sound really nice. Yep, man, very nice mix. The rhodes cuts thru nicely thru a sea of violins.

Do you mind sharing how you tackle the snare? Thanks, man. If it's a sample, do you have the name for it?

Edit: If anything else I think your vocal tone is very nice but some words are not clear, not to the point that I can just hear the lyrics (intelligibility)

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - vovolan - 06-06-2023

I don't like it, it's insanely overcompressed

sounds like a limiter doing -10db on master bus

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - Quathamer - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 06:45 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: In the beginning I thought the kick was a little loud, but deeper in the song, it sounds pretty nice. Both the snare and the kick have the snap I love so much. I wish the rim stick would be louder to keep the part roll in momentum. Very nice vocal, a little close but it's rock and roll, right? The ac guitars in the solo sound really nice. Yep, man, very nice mix. The rhodes cuts thru nicely thru a sea of violins.

Do you mind sharing how you tackle the snare? Thanks, man. If it's a sample, do you have the name for it?

Edit: If anything else I think your vocal tone is very nice but some words are not clear, not to the point that I can just hear the lyrics (intelligibility)
Hey man,

Very kind words, thanks so much for the feedback. I really enjoyed mixing this one. 

For the kick and the snare, I used samples with the original kick in and snare top. I deleted the other kicks and the under snare because they were a bit too all over the place and had phasing issues (especially the kick sub).

Its mainly just a good sample for the kick and snare (which I found in logic's library) and EQs. Honestly, that's all it is. No compression. What makes the snare so sweet in this song is the overheads (which are original) and a IR reverb. I use Melda Convolution (picture attached) and you only need a very small amount (under 10%). Melda make great plugins and they are all free!

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - Quathamer - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 07:25 AM)vovolan Wrote: I don't like it, it's insanely overcompressed

sounds like a limiter doing -10db on master bus
Hey dude,

Let me give you some advice. You need to be more constructive with your feedback. "I don't like it" doesn't help anyone, and to be honest nobody cares what you like because you're acting like a bit of a twat. 

Constructive feedback means being constructive, as opposed to destructive. Constructive mean building people up. Destructive mean tearing people down. Stop tearing people down. You're not Gordan Ramsey of the audio engineering world, and even the really good engineers that I've worked with will never say a bad word about anyone or their work. 

If you want to be a valuable part of this community, be as encouraging as possible, especially to those whose mixes "you don't like."

FYI, my one mastering compressor is doing about 1.5db at the most (attached), and my L2 limiter is just catching transients (about 1.5db as well).

**edit**
It's not letting me attach more pictures, so you'll just have to trust me.

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - mikej - 06-06-2023

Whilst I don't think that vovolan's posts have crossed any boundaries, I have been monitoring them to gauge member's reactions as I agree some of the critiques vovolan has posted do come across as being a little abrasive (I have already posted some gentle hints in another thread already, which I hope will be heeded). I am sure that it is not the intention, and it's a bit of shame, as I note vovolan has made some good observations too.

As I mentioned previously, there is an art to giving (and receiving) criticism, and speaking from personal experience it can take a bit of time to get the hang of it!

Yes, the aim of this forum is to be supportive and constructive, so on that note I ask that going forward we ensure we do our best to continue to be respectful and polite to each other, and keep our critiques and discussion supportive and constructive also.

I do my best to ensure that this forum remains inclusive in the hope that everyone can feel comfortable posting their hard work without fear.

I like to think that we all know what is acceptable behaviour here, and what isn't. On that note, do feel free to flag up any inappropriate posts to myself via pm, or any member of the forum team.

Thanks!

Edit: Just adding a note to say I've spotted some really excellent informative, supportive and encouraging posts around here recently which is great to see.

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - vovolan - 06-06-2023

Apparently we see things differently.

Quathamer Wrote:nobody cares what you like because you're acting like a bit of a twat.

right..

It's all about whether others like it or not. If people like your mix it's a good mix, if people don't like your mix it's most likely a bad mix. It's very simple. This is why I always say whether I like a mix or not, because we can talk about thousand aspects of it on 30 pages and in the end of the day that's all that matters. To me it's of the highest importance to state that, because some mixes can have obvious issues and you can still like them, so sometimes it can get a bit tricky. 

I understand why some people don't like my comments, it's because I don't say stuff like "Hey man, I think your mix is a bit overcompressed, maybe you should check if your master processing isn't killing the dynamics" -sorry this isn't me

I said I didn't like it and specifically explained why. I also added what it sounds like to me.

This is more than enough to build on. What I suggest you do now is you check whether the feedback you received is true or not. If it's true and you can hear the mentioned issue you work on it, if it's bullshit you just ignore my comment and that's it, you move on.

If somebody values being nice and encouraging over feedback straight to the point that you can potentially improve on, i'm just not gonna comment on their mixes ever again, so if that makes you feel better you just got rid of me Big Grin  If your passion for mixing/will to improve/whatever reason you're here/ isn't high enough you need people from the community to support you in what you do I'm afraid even kind words won't help in the long run. Also keep in mind that it takes [song lenght time] usually times x3 to give it a few listens and another 10 or whatever minutes to write a comment so please appreciate that. And yes please don't pick on my words, in this case it took me like 2, because I simply had nothing else to say Smile

It also took me like 30 mins to write this message which should be another sign that I -somewhat- "care"

If this approach isn't acceptable in here I kindly ask a moderator reading this to tell me, so we can avoid arguments in the future or me potentially getting banned lol.

Quathamer Wrote:even the really good engineers that I've worked with will never say a bad word about anyone or their work.

Yeah unfortunately I can relate to this one, it's a thing in my area too. But I didn't take me long to realize those are people either without taste or doing that behind your back. Usually the second one.

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - mikej - 06-06-2023

vovolan Wrote:If this approach isn't acceptable in here I kindly ask a moderator reading this to tell me, so we can avoid arguments in the future or me potentially getting banned lol.

If you hadn't already read my post above, I'm a moderator, and if it helps I'm now telling you to please ensure we keep our critiques positive and constructive.

Also adding a gentle reminder to also please ensure that we don't use bad language in our posts either, as per the forum rules.

(And yes, we do value being nice and encouraging above everything).

Hopefully this is now the end of it and we can all move on.

Thanks.

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - Quathamer - 07-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 11:00 AM)vovolan Wrote: Apparently we see things differently.
Hey bro,

I hear ya. I also think it's important to give helpful advice, but if you come across as offensive or give off an air of "I'm much better than you, so listen up," your advice won't be received well, and won't be helpful to the person you're commenting to. I understand you might spend a lot of time writing and critiquing, but if you're a twat about it, it won't matter how much time you spend on your comments, people will still think you're a twat. 

So it's actually in your best interest to be as constructive and sociable as possible so that your advice is received well.

Hope that helps man.

RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Liquid Crutch - Quathamer - 07-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 06:45 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: If it's a sample, do you have the name for it?
Hey bro, sorry, I only realised that you asked this. Sorry ... It's a preset in Sampler called Acoustic D1 7. As I said, I mixed it in with the original snare to retain a bit of its human element, and the overheads also contribute to the great popping sizzle sound.