Discussion Zone
Tear This Mix Apart! - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Imp Act: 'Dying Light' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=833)
+---- Thread: Tear This Mix Apart! (/showthread.php?tid=42024)

Pages: 1 2

Tear This Mix Apart! - Attack-on-Mixes - 03-02-2022

Hey Everyone,

This was a super rad song hopefully I did it justice lol
Let me know what you think  Smile
Thanks for Listening!

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - motomojo - 05-02-2022

Nicely done Attack.
Well balanced liked the creativity. Nothing to tear up just personal opinion stuff but that don't count.
I enjoyed this mix but will get a bit nit picky on one item.
Guitar 1 and DT have a nasty string squeak that is very distracting I guess I'm the only one who scrubs these noises out as I hear em on all mixes
Acoustics especially yikes!!
Anyway that's all I got, kicking' mix.

Cheers
Motomojo

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - crownoise - 05-02-2022

I like the drums, if it had not been for the poorly overclicky recorded kick i'd think this wouldv turned out fantastic. Feels a bit leftish driven, had the same problem on my mix, feels like they recorded it phasey, so weird that a talanted band like this really dont give the time to have better recordings. Also something that buggs me often is how people record overheads, its like the cymbals sound like sandpaper when they don't got any midrange in the mics/preamps/preeqing, makes it impossible to have a room ready drum recording to fiddle with, especially when the only room mic is one thousand miles away from the drum kit making it 2 seconds in delay vs the spotmics.

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - Attack-on-Mixes - 08-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 12:36 AM)motomojo Wrote: Nicely done Attack.
Well balanced liked the creativity. Nothing to tear up just personal opinion stuff but that don't count.
I enjoyed this mix but will get a bit nit picky on one item.
Guitar 1 and DT have a nasty string squeak that is very distracting I guess I'm the only one who scrubs these noises out as I hear em on all mixes
Acoustics especially yikes!!
Anyway that's all I got, kicking' mix.

Cheers
Motomojo
Hey Moto,

Yeah, I heard the same thing lol  Sad I totally forgot to De-ess that part.
Thanks for giving it a listen, man.  Smile

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - Attack-on-Mixes - 08-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 12:10 PM)crownoise Wrote: I like the drums, if it had not been for the poorly overclicky recorded kick i'd think this wouldv turned out fantastic. Feels a bit leftish driven, had the same problem on my mix, feels like they recorded it phasey, so weird that a talanted band like this really dont give the time to have better recordings. Also something that buggs me often is how people record overheads, its like the cymbals sound like sandpaper when they don't got any midrange in the mics/preamps/preeqing, makes it impossible to have a room ready drum recording to fiddle with, especially when the only room mic is one thousand miles away from the drum kit making it 2 seconds in delay vs the spotmics.

Hey Crownoise,

The drums were defiently pretty challenging escpecially the cymbals.
My problem was that the original snare was dominating the overheads.
I did everything I could but I feel they are kinda weak in my mix.
Regarding the kick I just sample repalce that bad boy lol
The drum room mics were also kinda insteresting I just used Devil Loc by Sound Toys and Compressed it to heck lol 

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - crownoise - 09-02-2022

(08-02-2022, 11:40 PM)Attack-on-Mixes Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 12:10 PM)crownoise Wrote: I like the drums, if it had not been for the poorly overclicky recorded kick i'd think this wouldv turned out fantastic. Feels a bit leftish driven, had the same problem on my mix, feels like they recorded it phasey, so weird that a talanted band like this really dont give the time to have better recordings. Also something that buggs me often is how people record overheads, its like the cymbals sound like sandpaper when they don't got any midrange in the mics/preamps/preeqing, makes it impossible to have a room ready drum recording to fiddle with, especially when the only room mic is one thousand miles away from the drum kit making it 2 seconds in delay vs the spotmics.

Hey Crownoise,

The drums were defiently pretty challenging escpecially the cymbals.
My problem was that the original snare was dominating the overheads.
I did everything I could but I feel they are kinda weak in my mix.
Regarding the kick I just sample repalce that bad boy lol
The drum room mics were also kinda insteresting I just used Devil Loc by Sound Toys and Compressed it to heck lol 
Devil loc on snares are gold, remembering this since before when i had it Smile.

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - brandon_parker - 24-02-2022

-Way too loud. Aim for -14 LUFS or below. I had to immediately turn it down to halfway on the website. XD
-Synth was a bit over the top with the guitars.
-Drums are a bit muddy. No high end from the overheads.
-Watch your reverb bus on the drums. Good to add some reverb on the room mics, but not so much that it sounds like he is playing in a tunnel. XD
-Orchestra was a bit too over the top as well. It buried everything in the mix.
-Solo guitar has no bite. Add some high and high mids.
-Whole song was really muddy sounding. Lots of mids and low mids, with no highs to balance the mix out.
-Very center-centric.

One suggestion is to mix with a reference track. It helps with mixing and gives you an idea on how a song translates to different sound devices. On this song, I referenced a pop song (can't remember which one though...) and the aim is to follow the clarity of the song. It helps a ton when you mix with a reference song! With this one, if you were to bring this track to master it, I would have to gain stage it almost immediately, and do a lot of tweaking so it will be ready for streaming sites and such.

It's a good start, but it does need some work. Keep at it, though! Smile

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - mikej - 24-02-2022

Why -14 LUFS? Why reference a pop song? I checked a selection of billboard hard rock tracks on Youtube a while back and I recall the source audio was actually quite a bit louder than -14 LUFS...

Wouldn't referencing against current popular rock/hard rock tracks (and loudness) be more appropriate if the aim here is to craft a competitive mix? Perhaps see how this track sits with, say, a playlist of a selection of the top billboard hard rock songs and make any adjustments from there, with regards balance and tone, etc?

Cheers!

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - brandon_parker - 25-02-2022

It is, but my aim was to follow the clarity of the song, not nessisarily the genre of music. You can use the same genre of music as a reference track, as I have in the past, but again, my aim was to bring out clarity in the mix. On the top of my head, a good song to reference is something like Bully by Shinedown or Monster by Starset, but use whatever song you like and think sounds great. Oh, and I used Lie by Sasha Alex Sloan as a reference on this track. Why? It just sounds great. I'm wierd like that. Smile

-14 LUFS is pretty much the standard across all streaming services (except for Apple Music, for some odd reason...) and has been for quite a while now. Sure, you can go louder, but the streaming services will turn it down using their algorithms, which...aren't great.

RE: Tear This Mix Apart! - mikej - 25-02-2022

Personally I do feel it is more useful to reference tracks in the same or similar genres to stay on track. I find different genres of music are actually approached really quite differently with respect to the volume and tonal relationships between kick/bass/instruments/vocals etc. It may not be so helpful if you pick reference tracks that are maybe stylistically quite different to what you are aiming for.

I don't think you would approach a hip-hop kick the same as a Jazz track for example. It can sound a bit odd when people try and mix dance music the same as a rock mix for example. I would also approach the final limiting and loudness differently for different genres too.

Regarding the -14 LUFS - as far as I can tell certainly Youtube just seems to turn down the volume a bit based on the length of the track. I don't see any fancy algorithm that is doing any more than this as such? Rock tracks still seem to be mixed loud and seem to be around 6-9 LUFS in practice from the tracks I have checked?

I do feel you get a certain sound from pushing things a little, and I find it is a common sound for a few genres. I find the side effects from pushing a mix can also help you spot problems in a mix and actually help you to work towards getting a cleaner mix. So I see nothing wrong in experimenting here with trying to learn how to make loud mixes. I find subjectively 'better' mixes maybe don't tend to fall apart so much under heavier limiting as such.

(I have read that the top pop mixers do actually limit their songs quite heavily deliberately so the mastering engineer doesn't have much room to change their mixes).

Anyway, these are just a few thoughts that I found useful to consider.

How loud are your suggested reference tracks, and how would you say the OP's mix compare with those?

Cheers!