Discussion Zone
Alex the adventurer - voelund - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Acoustic, Jazz, Country, Orchestral (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Jeffrey Hayat: 'Alex The Adventurer' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Thread: Alex the adventurer - voelund (/showthread.php?tid=3942)

Alex the adventurer - voelund - Voelund - 11-02-2014

I gave this one a go, havin listened to pauli and Juans fine versions of this.

Im not overly happy with it, but I wont work more on it for now.
I narrowed many of the stereosamples, used mute button a couple o places as i really liked the oboes and they were drowned by the violins. I tried addin a double oboe, and kinda liked the feel of 2 players so I left it in.
Read some fine articles on makin samples sound like an orchestra and one thing I tried were changin lot o pannin so they were placed like an actual orchestra, many of the samples were all over the place ...

Also moved timpani and bass drum a tad forward, as i read it could sound great, and I liked the result.
Added a global automation last notes, and some drumroll exciter too, a big intro, a dip and crescendo, it made the drumrolls more natural - to me.

It was fun but Im really tired of this little piece of music now :-)

Forgot to mention: the ringin notes at the very end were caused by the tail of a timpani interfering with the tails of 2 basdrum hits. creating a fairly fast fade on track 3 (timpani)solved the problem for me.

RE: Alex the adventurer - voelund - juanjose1967 - 11-02-2014

I think it sounds great, so don't worry... I think there's not much to retouch here Wink

RE: Alex the adventurer - voelund - Voelund - 11-02-2014

Youre too kind. I just dont know what to change :-)

RE: Alex the adventurer - voelund - pauli - 11-02-2014

Sounds pretty good to me, too Smile Pretty good stereo work, I think. Wider spread and more realistic, yet all cohesive and well translated to speakers. Some of the muted parts kinda threw me, but that's entirely because I was used to the sound of the full multitrack... they sound good, and muting the xylophone during the piano break was an interesting choice since it's really tough to get the two to agree and sound realistic. One suggestion that comes to mind is something I failed to do on my version, which is to add a short, dense ambiance to the entire track to give it a bit of a shine. Unfortunately since it's based on samples we don't have a room mic.... maybe we can put our heads together and figure out how to simulate one, because a short ambiance over a well mic'd room is one of the nicest sounds I can think of in the digital realm. Really good go at this though, man. Great emotional payoff at the end, too!

RE: Alex the adventurer - voelund - thedon - 12-02-2014

Sounds great to me I like panning ,your mix also sounds full and well balanced in mono on the auratone Big Grin !

RE: Alex the adventurer - voelund - Voelund - 12-02-2014

Good to hear ! Had a struggle with this, sometimes samples act very difrently than real recordings. The oboe/string thing for one. Both sounded great on their own, i tried to make room for the oboe by cuttin holes in the strings where the oboe sounded great, but even at very low lvl the strings killed it. I had a listen in headphones and I have to revise some pan and lvl and verb to get closer to the illusion the players are placed like I see them in my head.

Thx for the positive feedback.
By the way there are gentle bus compressors on evry bus and a sum compressor takin some 2 dB out when they hit it hard. I made a kind of a joke on myself on this one, also to see if anyone would notice, as I often talk agains compression. I tried it and it reminded me of many deutsche grammofon records I own Big Grin
Guess they use it too