Discussion Zone
The Black Crown - Cage - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: The Black Crown: 'Cage' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=693)
+---- Thread: The Black Crown - Cage (/showthread.php?tid=34789)

Pages: 1 2

The Black Crown - Cage - mikej - 12-08-2020

Hi,
My mix.

Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.0 - hopefully tightened up the drums a bit?

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - warlord62864 - 12-08-2020

(12-08-2020, 05:51 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,
My mix.

Cheers!
Drums could use some gateing and compressing

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - sluggo5000 - 13-08-2020

dale un poco de gain a la voz en el coro, y solo un poco de compresion los tambores como lo comenta mikej!! exito!!

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - mikej - 14-08-2020

(12-08-2020, 09:45 PM)warlord62864 Wrote:
My mix.

Cheers!
Drums could use some gateing and compressing
Hi!

Thanks so much for checking out my mix and taking the time to comment.  

I am a little suprised that you feel I didn't use any compression on the drums.....  I didn't use any gating as I didn't feel the need with this track. 

I wonder if you would be able to share a bit more insight and detail in to the thinking behind your comment for me?  Maybe you have some suggestions of mixes, mixers, or other artists tracks that I should be referencing for example?

It all helps! 

Cheers!

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - mikej - 14-08-2020

(13-08-2020, 02:34 AM)sluggo5000 Wrote: dale un poco de gain a la voz en el coro, y solo un poco de compresion  los tambores como lo comenta mikej!! exito!!

Hi!

(I used Google Translate...)

Thanks for listening!

Not sure about adding more compression on the drums.  Hopefully warlord62864 will come back to this thread with some thoughts there.  I felt the drums were about ok, but maybe there is some work to be done there, lets see.  I did wonder if they need to come up a bit in the mix?  I find the drums sometimes end up a bit buried as the mix progresses and I have to do a bit of rebalancing at the end.

With regards to the vocal -

I wanted the chorus to sound a bit bigger, and the way I did that was by raising the level of the guitars against the vocal in the chorus.  I feel if I raise the level of the vocal too much then you won't get that same 'big' feeling as the relative levels between the guitar and vocal would be the same and it won't have the effect I want?  Does that make sense? 

With that in mind, let me know if the vocal really does need to be raised there though.  To be honest I think I felt the vocals were maybe a little bit too up in the mix, especially at the beginning, as I didn't do much automation.

Cheers!

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - warlord62864 - 14-08-2020

(14-08-2020, 10:48 AM)mikej Wrote:
(13-08-2020, 02:34 AM)sluggo5000 Wrote: dale un poco de gain a la voz en el coro, y solo un poco de compresion  los tambores como lo comenta mikej!! exito!!

Hi!

(I used Google Translate...)

Thanks for listening!

Not sure about adding more compression on the drums.  Hopefully warlord62864 will come back to this thread with some thoughts there.  I felt the drums were about ok, but maybe there is some work to be done there, lets see.  I did wonder if they need to come up a bit in the mix?  I find the drums sometimes end up a bit buried as the mix progresses and I have to do a bit of rebalancing at the end.
They seem to linger a little bit longer than they should
With regards to the vocal -

I wanted the chorus to sound a bit bigger, and the way I did that was by raising the level of the guitars against the vocal in the chorus.  I feel if I raise the level of the vocal too much then you won't get that same 'big' feeling as the relative levels between the guitar and vocal would be the same and it won't have the effect I want?  Does that make sense? 

With that in mind, let me know if the vocal really does need to be raised there though.  To be honest I think I felt the vocals were maybe a little bit too up in the mix, especially at the beginning, as I didn't do much automation.

Cheers!

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - warlord62864 - 14-08-2020

Take a listen to this one not perfect but you'll kinda see what i'm talking about

Avid S6L-48D
Waves Mercury Bundle
Adam A77XA&B
Adam Sub15

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - mikej - 15-08-2020

Hi!

Appreciate you getting back and posting that example.

Interesting.

To me the drums in the 'Cage (Mastered)' mix sound way over compressed and over limited? To the point that it is affecting the mid/upper mid frequency content enough to make the drums sound edgy and 'plasticky'. The drums kind of feel that they are in a different mix/space to the rest of the mix to me and it doesn't quite gel with the rest of the mix (which is mostly pretty good I think).

I've an idea what you are trying to go for there though.

I will have a play about with the drums in my mix later on today though, and post something. Let's see.

Many Thanks.

Cheers!

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - mikej - 15-08-2020

Hi,

Ok, I've just uploaded mix 1.0 which I hope has a bit better drums now?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I hope I understood what you were getting at anyway.

As an aside, I guess there are not too many people on here mixing on a S6L?

Cheers!

RE: The Black Crown - Cage - warlord62864 - 15-08-2020

My mix.

Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.0 - hopefully tightened up the drums a bit?
can you post just your drum mix