Discussion Zone
Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=472)
+---- Thread: Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' (/showthread.php?tid=25281)

Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' - javierpg84 - 07-12-2018

Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City'

RE: Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' - Deliza - 07-12-2018

Easy natural mix, every part sounds good on its own (at least, listening with good old ATH-M50x's). There are two things that bugged me, though:

First one is from a musical perspective, but it touches mixing aspects, too. Main guitar (that's the left panned, btw) has less presence than the strummer rhythm part, which cuts more thru the mix and dominates. Actually, most of the twin panned mixes at the moment seem to give that second guitar the edge, which leaves me perplex, because you lost a lot of interesting little riffs and end up with a weaker solo (and that solo is wicked!). I'd give it a little more love and restrain a little that second guitar. And then, to rebalance things, OH's could be stereo reversed so the weight of the ride falls on the right, merging with the second guitar. Or just exchange guitars panning to get there sooner, but doing it with the OH's has the unexpected benefit of making the tomfills lead more seamlessly to the ride driven choruses, because most of them are on the hitom, panned to the right.

Second one is about space. Don't know why but I feel it's the OH's that should signal the space and depth for the whole mix. Meaning, some parts are too dry and inyourface taking the OH's as unit of measure, so to say: mainly, toms and lead vocal. The vocal sounds perfectly right, but it's just too dry (this is all about taste, but I still feel it's taking some glue from the mix, though I'm a WallOfSound kinda guy...).

RE: Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' - javierpg84 - 07-12-2018

(07-12-2018, 12:32 PM)Deliza Wrote: Easy natural mix, every part sounds good on its own (at least, listening with good old ATH-M50x's). There are two things that bugged me, though:

First one is from a musical perspective, but it touches mixing aspects, too. Main guitar (that's the left panned, btw) has less presence than the strummer rhythm part, which cuts more thru the mix and dominates. Actually, most of the twin panned mixes at the moment seem to give that second guitar the edge, which leaves perplex, because you a lot of interesting little riffs and end up with a weaker solo (and that solo is wicked!). I'd give it a little more love and restrain a little that second guitar. And then, to rebalance things, OH's could be stereo reversed so the weight of the ride falls on the right, merging with the second guitar. Or just exchange guitars panning to get there sooner, but doing it with the OH's has the unexpected benefit of making the tomfills lead more seamlessly to the ride driven choruses, because most of them are on the hitom, panned to the right.

Second one is about space. Don't know why but I feel it's the OH's that should signal the space and depth for the whole mix. Meaning, some parts are too dry and inyourface taking the OH's as unit of measure, so to say: mainly, toms and lead vocal. The vocal sounds perfectly right, but it's just too dry (this is all about taste, but I still feel it's taking some glue from the mix, though I'm a WallOfSound kinda guy...).

Thank you for your comments and for listening Deliza. I wanted to recreate a dry, small space around the band so it feels like "living in the city" Wink. I uploaded a second version with some slap in the lead vocals plus some more room in order to make it less dry. Thanks.

RE: Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' - Mixinthecloud - 02-03-2019

Second mix is pretty spot on.