Discussion Zone
james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Acoustic, Jazz, Country, Orchestral (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: James May: 'Eliza Jane' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+---- Thread: james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) (/showthread.php?tid=18665)

james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) - el saudi - 09-04-2017

Hi guys!
here s my mix.
Had some problems to eq/comp the kick, and the overhead..
and some troubles to find the right balance for the acoustic guitars..

hope to have some feedbacks..

cheers!

Will

RE: james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) - Damian Oakes - 09-04-2017

My advice is to back off, sounds like you're doing way too much in terms of EQ/compression. It seems like you're going for the "good mixing means I can hear everything all the time" approach, but that's folly. Mixing is fundamentally about focusing the listener's attention on what's important within the arrangement, and in order to do that you have to prioritize certain instruments over others, and simplify the arrangement. Because if everything's important, nothing is.

RE: james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) - el saudi - 10-04-2017

(09-04-2017, 09:47 PM)Damian Oakes Wrote: My advice is to back off, sounds like you're doing way too much in terms of EQ/compression. It seems like you're going for the "good mixing means I can hear everything all the time" approach, but that's folly. Mixing is fundamentally about focusing the listener's attention on what's important within the arrangement, and in order to do that you have to prioritize certain instruments over others, and simplify the arrangement. Because if everything's important, nothing is.

Thanks for the advice!
but about the " good mixing = can hear everything " approach.. at least why not! It s one of my goals when I m mixing..
I understand what you mean and I agree..
I did a lot of automations on vocals, drums, acst gtrs, electric gtr and hammond to focus the attention and to emphasize some parts..
cheers!
W

RE: james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) - HbGuitar - 11-04-2017

Hey Will

Guitars sound good to me and the mandolins are pleasant without dominating. Good job there.

To my ears the drums sound too compressed. At this level of compression, I think that you would be better served by blending them in as parallel compression so you get the benefit of the oomph and air without being quite so obvious because right now they are dominating your mix and drawing attention away from the vocal.

It may sound clichéd, but the question to ask yourself before reaching for a compressor or EQ plugin, is "what problem am i solving here that moving the fader cant fix?" If you're not sure, then moving the fader is a good option.

For sure, there are artistic reasons to process tracks in a certain way but you can achieve really good mixes by not doing too much. Building really good instrument balances and sprinkling some tasteful FX goes a very long way.

keep it up

Cheers, Simon

RE: james may ( mixed by Will Vasconi ) - el saudi - 12-04-2017

(11-04-2017, 05:00 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Will

Guitars sound good to me and the mandolins are pleasant without dominating. Good job there.

To my ears the drums sound too compressed. At this level of compression, I think that you would be better served by blending them in as parallel compression so you get the benefit of the oomph and air without being quite so obvious because right now they are dominating your mix and drawing attention away from the vocal.

It may sound clichéd, but the question to ask yourself before reaching for a compressor or EQ plugin, is "what problem am i solving here that moving the fader cant fix?" If you're not sure, then moving the fader is a good option.

For sure, there are artistic reasons to process tracks in a certain way but you can achieve really good mixes by not doing too much. Building really good instrument balances and sprinkling some tasteful FX goes a very long way.

keep it up

Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon!

yes man, I really messed with the drums.. Sad
I m gonna try to use less comp or a parrallel comp as you advised!

Thanks a lot!!

Will