Discussion Zone
Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=364)
+---- Thread: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix (/showthread.php?tid=17332)

Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - HbGuitar - 09-12-2016

Great song, beautifully produced. Absolute guitar heaven if you love that 70s influenced rock guitar sound.

Love the "Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music" homage too. All in all a lot of fun and head nodding going on with this funky mamma of a mix.

RE: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - thedon - 09-12-2016

G'day Simon,
Excellent version ,sounds great on my monitors a touch more top end air on the drums or just the master bus 4k 1db max and some air 10-15 k 1-2db max.
Not a Big deal either my personal preference ,ears or monitors.

Well Done !

RE: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - Dangerous - 09-12-2016

G'day Simon,

I agree with Don. Great sounding mix with top notch balance decisions made. Listening with headphone I found that for my ears there was a little bit too much going on in the 2.5k area, I found a gentle cut of 2-3dB here levelled the mix out nicely. I also observed a slight resonance at around 108hz, I think from the bass guitar. It almost sounds like some room resonance captured from the recording. Just some minor things that hopefully help.

A mix to be proud of...Big Grin

Dave

RE: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - August - 09-12-2016

Hi Simon, Nice clean mix. Smile

August

RE: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - HbGuitar - 11-12-2016

(09-12-2016, 08:44 AM)thedon Wrote: G'day Simon,
Excellent version ,sounds great on my monitors a touch more top end air on the drums or just the master bus 4k 1db max and some air 10-15 k 1-2db max.
Not a Big deal either my personal preference ,ears or monitors.

Well Done !

Thanks Don - you're probably right. I often get nervous adding anything above 10K. I'm always worried that my mix will be too bright - and I'm a top end junkie so i don't really notice it creeping up on me.

Thanks for listening,

cheers, Simon

(09-12-2016, 01:19 PM)Dangerous Wrote: G'day Simon,

I agree with Don. Great sounding mix with top notch balance decisions made. Listening with headphone I found that for my ears there was a little bit too much going on in the 2.5k area, I found a gentle cut of 2-3dB here levelled the mix out nicely. I also observed a slight resonance at around 108hz, I think from the bass guitar. It almost sounds like some room resonance captured from the recording. Just some minor things that hopefully help.

A mix to be proud of...Big Grin

Dave

Thanks Dave - appreciate your comments. I agree about your 2.5Kz observations. I've already shaved 1dB from this very area as i was worried about the build-up from the guitars and OHs. if i go back in i reckon I'll go in with some individual cuts on the relevant busses. +1 on the bass too. I have little 1 dB cut on the multi band but it probably needs something more surgical on the track.

Cheers, Simon

(09-12-2016, 11:07 PM)August Wrote: Hi Simon, Nice clean mix. Smile

August

Hey August. Thanks for listening. Glad u enjoyed it. Cheers, Simon

RE: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - Jimdolorian - 11-12-2016

Hello Smile

Things that came to my head while listenning:
-i'd like a bit punchier snare :p.
-sometimes the kick is a little bit lost (bass masking).
-guitars are great, maybe the last solo could be a a bit more upfront.
-overall it lacks a little bit of air.

These are little details for my taste, overall it's a good mix, i liked it !

RE: Funky To The Bone - HB Mix - HbGuitar - 11-04-2017

Hey Jimdolorian,

Glad you enjoyed the mix.Thanks for listening and for your thoughtful comments. I'll certainly take them on board if I make any future revisions.

Cheers, Simon