Discussion Zone
Colour Me Res (FINAL MIX ) - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=363)
+---- Thread: Colour Me Res (FINAL MIX ) (/showthread.php?tid=17160)

Pages: 1 2

Colour Me Res (FINAL MIX ) - Shul - 19-11-2016

Not participating in the contest but this is the mix I would submit if I was

Before you say my mix is very midrange full.. I went for a more warm/"analog" approach Smile

Thanks and hope you like it.

EDIT: Changed mastering settings on the final to correct the overload of mids. I agree with your thoughts on too much being TOO MUCH Smile I believe this sounds a lot cleaner but still has that warm analog feel. What do you think?

UPDATE: Final mix uploaded which I'm very happy with. I can release a full Comment section here if you like to know what the overview of my process was for this particular song.
Thanks for listening and Hope you like it.

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - thedon - 19-11-2016

Hey Shul,
Nice warm version love your intro ,
The electric guitar and bass could come down and the vocals up a touch.

Cheers Big Grin

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - Olli H - 19-11-2016

(19-11-2016, 04:56 AM)Shul Wrote: Before you say my mix is very midrange full.. I went for a more warm/"analog" approach Smile

Hmm, I think your mix is a bit midrange full. Low midrandge full

Nothing bad to add analog warm - I love it - but I think it should be balanced with not so strong low end.

Otherwise I have nothing bad to say of your mix, overall idea is very coherent and balanced and ear pleasing..

If I were a mastering engineer - which I’m not and never will be - I would add an low cut eq-curve to the mix. And a bit more precence to upper mids. Listen what I mean.

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - Herb Felho - 19-11-2016

I agree with Olli H, listen how much clearer you can hear the bass guitar now on his "remastered" version, also the vocals much clearer...
but good mix anyway!

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - jeffd42 - 19-11-2016

(19-11-2016, 04:56 AM)Shul Wrote: Before you say my mix is very midrange full.. I went for a more warm/"analog" approach Smile

I like the overall balance. The bass guitar needs some work. Its fine to present a warm feel (with more mids), but this sounds more like a couple of resonances on the bass guitar, maybe around 500Hz, stomping on everything else in the mix.

I think if you trim that, you can better keep both the clarity and the warmth desired.

Hope this helps! Cheers, Jeff

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - Shul - 19-11-2016

EDIT: Changed mastering settings on the final to correct the overload of mids. I agree with your thoughts on too much being TOO MUCH Smile I believe this sounds a lot cleaner but still has that warm analog feel. What do you think?

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - majew7 - 24-11-2016

Hi Shul,

Mix 2
Yes, overall mix 2 is an improvement over mix 1.

Fun exciting intro… feels like it sneaks up and “pow”! Very effective introduction in my opinion. Considering making the lonely acoustic just a bit louder (or automate the volume to a higher point) and I think the pieces will connect better while still retaining the 'pow'. Again, great.

Sounds very full overall, and the bass guitar has a nice growl. I wish I could speak to the “analog feel”… I assume your speaking about vinyl... I don't own any.

Here are some improvement notes:
* Bass & Electric - The bass guitar and electric guitar 1 have a particular warmness and energy to them. But I don’t feel that similar feel from Electric Guitar 2 and 3 and the acoustic guitars. So perhaps a little disjoint between the two sets.
* Background Vocals - It’s hard to hear the words that are being said. And they appear very low in the right after mid section 1.

-Michael

P.S. Would you consider evaluating my 'Colour Me Red' mix?

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - Shul - 24-11-2016

You caught me.. I pretty much didn't do anything to the back vox other than group them together and put a HP filter on them for clarity. I now have to go back to mix them more to the center for more clarity as well as compression on several tracks for a more stable dynamic.

(24-11-2016, 03:11 AM)majew7 Wrote: I wish I could speak to the “analog feel”… I assume your speaking about vinyl... I don't own any.

When I say analog I mean the Analog consoles. Analog consoles tend to have a more darker (mid exciting) quality to their Gains than a digital. Digital mixers usually have a very crisp and clean gain. Vinyl reproduces an analog signal and it also adds a type of texture when played back. There are some vinyl emulation plugins that produce that analog sound but I was just referring to a warm tone in the mix.

About the intro I tried more volume at first but the volume as it is now was more efficient in my opinion. I'm not keeping track of which guitar is 1 or 2.. but I assume you are talking about the acoustic ones on left and right. I mainly took them as rhythm driver the main one for me was the distortion guitar. That's why maybe you perceive them as less energetic.
For the bass I used the DI track.. and one of the Mic tracks just to give it a more fuller sound on the subs.. the main one was the DI. I just thought a clean Bass sound was for effective to make better distiction between my kick, toms and Rhodes which live in the center of the mix.

Thanks for your comment I appreciate the feedback. Now I'm gonna go back to the mix and fix those Back Vox because the truth is I didn't think people would notice but you did. Smile

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - loweche6 - 24-11-2016

Hey man! I hope you've been well during my absence.

Most Everything I love. . . Something about the Vox are throwing me off though. They sound a bit boxy? Maybe bringing down 300 Hz a bit will help it. Try a slightly less cut at its double.

Really, I love the tone of the instrumets, but the Lead vox just sounds separated some how. . . The best way I can describe it.

So so so close!

Great mix!
Draper

RE: Colour Me Red (IF I WAS IN THE CONTEST :?) - Shul - 24-11-2016

(24-11-2016, 07:27 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey man! I hope you've been well during my absence.

Something about the Vox are throwing me off though. They sound a bit boxy? Maybe bringing down 300 Hz a bit will help it.

Thanks for the feedback Draper
I was also away for a while but I'm back.

Version above will have My final mix with Back Vox fixed and also took off a 500hz boost on the main vox and also cut of -2db around the 300 like you suggested and It changes the vocal drastically in the mix which I think sounds much cleaner and more understandable.