Discussion Zone
Colour Me Red - Olli H - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=363)
+---- Thread: Colour Me Red - Olli H (/showthread.php?tid=16923)

Pages: 1 2 3

Colour Me Red - Olli H - Olli H - 01-11-2016

I didn't want to take this song to stadium. I prefered to emphasize the acoustic groove the band had.
My main reference was modern Bob Dylan playing Muddy Waters style old blues. During the mixing process I added also Dr. Feelgood to my references. So my version is maybe Dr. Feelgood unplugged.

EDIT:
Final competition version in post #21

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - Andreas Tyranopoulos - 01-11-2016

(01-11-2016, 05:38 PM)Olli H Wrote: I didn't want to take this song to stadium. I prefered to emphasize the acoustic groove the band had.
My main reference was modern Bob Dylan playing Muddy Waters style old blues. During the mixing process I added also Dr. Feelgood to my references. So my version is maybe Dr. Feelgood unplugged.

Great groovy rock n roll sound!! I loved it! Smile

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - Memphis Black - 01-11-2016

Hi Olli

sounds a great mix, great balance. I like a bit more room verb on vocals and drums which is more a taste thing but sounds driving on my monitors.

Keep on Rockin

Memphis

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - kapu - 01-11-2016

I agree with RoyMatthews about the vocals having some nasty 'whistles' between 5-8k. Hard for me to judge anything else as I struggled so much with them myself, and now I'm constantly hearing just them. But you know your trade and the sound is right in the parts without the lead vocals. A sample with the snare? I'm just curious if I'm hearing a sample or just imaging my own. Smile

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - Olli H - 02-11-2016

Thanks all, new version is coming soon with some fixes in vox.

(01-11-2016, 11:51 PM)kapu Wrote: I agree with RoyMatthews about the vocals having some nasty 'whistles' between 5-8k. Hard for me to judge anything else as I struggled so much with them myself, and now I'm constantly hearing just them.

Now I can also hear it, thanks. I'll try to fix that, but I must be very careful not to create bigger problems by solving another. In those moments when my ears are tuned to listen problems, I tend to create dull and boring mixes.

(01-11-2016, 11:51 PM)kapu Wrote: But you know your trade and the sound is right in the parts without the lead vocals. A sample with the snare? I'm just curious if I'm hearing a sample or just imaging my own. Smile
Actually I added two different samples. But the orginal track is included, so I didn't replace it.

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - juanjose1967 - 02-11-2016

I like the acoustic mood in the mix! I think it fits it very well!! Yes, I agree with those sibillants that they pointed out before... but not always though, so if you automate your deesser, you can solve that problem very easily.

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - joelonsdale - 03-11-2016

Great mix - a little heavy on the vocal and/or master buss compression which I hear 'squashing' weirdly. The snare drum has definite 'flam' - this could either be your room mics or any sample enhancement not working together. Lots of pitched resonances in the acoustic guitars that need dealing with at their root - it's the engineer's fault (isn't it always?) as they are there in the recordings, but they are simple to deal with - a little high-Q EQ work to nip them out (the attached screen grab may help you).

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - Olli H - 03-11-2016

Thanks for comments. THat dropbox-link didn't work. [I've now uploaded it as an attachment -- Mike S.]

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - Mixinthecloud - 03-11-2016

Great energy in this mix. Well done. Maybe a bit too much compression over-all which flattens it out just a bit.

RE: Colour Me Red - Olli H - Olli H - 10-11-2016

Thanks for all comments!
Some issues fixed in this one.