Discussion Zone
"Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Timo And The Timezone: 'Just Don't Talk' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=354)
+---- Thread: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix (/showthread.php?tid=16561)

"Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Dangerous - 06-10-2016

Have just spent the last week and a bit sunning myself on a beach whist on a family holiday. I thought I would take these multi's on the road with me. A laptop and headphone mix, I also used my daughters UE roll bluetooth speaker as an alternate sound source (My mono grot box of sorts). I feel the mix is still sounding some what static and floaty. I find it very difficult to make good reverb judgements with headphones on, but I feel I have taken it as far as I can with this approach I've taken.

Great song, some great mixes already posted. Had a blast playing with this one as usual.

Mixing outside on a balcony while looking at the ocean. What a great era with live inBig Grin

Thanks for listening

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Konek - 06-10-2016

It was Pacific Ocean or Indian?Wink
I liked the room in your mix. I liked your work with the guitars.
A little less high mids will make the mix delicately imho.
Nice work, DaveSmile

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - kapu - 07-10-2016

Nice, maybe you could have 'smudged' the backing vocals a bit more, as they're not exactly the most golden performances? Nothing wrong with the sound, and the offcentered drums seem to work just fine. I mostly watch the center speaker of my setup and the awful looking DIY acoustics behind it in my windowless small home studio. I use a JBL GO! bluetooth speaker as a sort of grot box when working with spoken word. I just thought that you should know. ^_^

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Dangerous - 11-10-2016

(06-10-2016, 01:43 PM)Konek Wrote: It was Pacific Ocean or Indian?Wink
I liked the room in your mix. I liked your work with the guitars.
A little less high mids will make the mix delicately imho.
Nice work, DaveSmile

Thanks Konek,
It was the Tasman Sea which I guess is part of the Pacific Ocean. South Coast NSW.
Thanks for your valued comments as always.Big Grin

Dave

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Dangerous - 11-10-2016

(07-10-2016, 03:01 AM)kapu Wrote: Nice, maybe you could have 'smudged' the backing vocals a bit more, as they're not exactly the most golden performances? Nothing wrong with the sound, and the offcentered drums seem to work just fine. I mostly watch the center speaker of my setup and the awful looking DIY acoustics behind it in my windowless small home studio. I use a JBL GO! bluetooth speaker as a sort of grot box when working with spoken word. I just thought that you should know. ^_^

Interesting kapu, I guess it's just a good thing to use what ever's at ones disposal, especially if you are familiar with it's signature. Certainly a new experience for me.
Good point regarding the backing vocals. Something that I completely overlooked. Even some high freq rolloff may have helped. I find that I'm less sensitive to these sorts details when mixing with headphone on. Not sure why?

Thanks for the comments

Dave

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Olli H - 11-10-2016

Lovely mix. I think the close vox sound suits this song very well.

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Cudjoe - 11-10-2016

Hi Dave sounds like a memorable moment, it has translated well to your mix, well done as usual.

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Dangerous - 12-10-2016

(11-10-2016, 05:29 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave sounds like a memorable moment, it has translated well to your mix, well done as usual.

Thanks Cudjoe, Although more I listen to this one the more I feel that it lacks some energy and excitement. I think some bold automation moves throughout may help breath some life back into the mix.

Thanks for the comments

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - Dangerous - 12-10-2016

(11-10-2016, 02:25 PM)Olli H Wrote: Lovely mix. I think the close vox sound suits this song very well.

Thanks Olli Big Grin

RE: "Just Don't Talk" Holiday Mix - thedon - 27-10-2016

Pretty good mix especially done on headphones and grot box ,actually use cheep Bluetooth speaker to check mixes on which is quite honest sounding.