Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wrong Uns - Rothko
Her is my Behringer X32 mix .... mixed out of Box !

.mp3    The Wrong Uns - Rothko.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

Hi,

interesting mix. I think the levels are fine for most of the mix but it misses depth. It sounds a bit as if everything was mixed right to the front, missing one dimension. Maybe the overheads are a bit too high in your mix, as well, with some unpleasent higher frequencies of hihat and ride.

The basis of your mix seems well done, you should take it one step further.
(13-03-2013, 11:20 AM)Artbass Wrote: Hi,

interesting mix. I think the levels are fine for most of the mix but it misses depth. It sounds a bit as if everything was mixed right to the front, missing one dimension. Maybe the overheads are a bit too high in your mix, as well, with some unpleasent higher frequencies of hihat and ride.

The basis of your mix seems well done, you should take it one step further.

Hey ArtBass
Thanks for your reply.
I have now created a new mix in which I have tried to create more air and dimention.
Can you better like it now?
Your mix sounds really good.
My mix is ​​made out of the box, Behringer x32 and Studio One 2.5
What have you used?

.mp3    The Wrong Uns - Rothko mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

Hi,

you made some drastical changes here. I am not quite convinced that all of them were for better. One thing I really love about that mix is the kick. Although maybe a touch to loud, it has a sonical character which is quite interesting. Really deep and warm.

Overall the mix has gained a bit of third dimension, but you had a better level-balance before that.

I am working in the box, using Cubase 5 and a bunch of rather cheap but good plugins (DDMF for EQ, Klanghelm and Focusrite Midnight for Compression, IK Multimedia CSR for Reverb) along with Slate Digital's VCC on every channel.
The kick nearly blew my headphones up and the mix keeps going in and out.
The bottom end needs looking at here
(19-03-2013, 08:59 AM)takka360 Wrote: The kick nearly blew my headphones up and the mix keeps going in and out.
The bottom end needs looking at here

Thank you for your response.

I have struggled a bit with the kick sound. It is not a pretty good recording.
I would really prefer to use it for trigger, and then replace it (Drunagog)

I have now adapted kick and bass better, and little else tampering.

.mp3    The Wrong Uns -Rothko mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.46 MB)

(19-03-2013, 04:33 PM)jorndyt Wrote: I have struggled a bit with the kick sound. It is not a pretty good recording.
I would really prefer to use it for trigger, and then replace it (Drunagog)

I have now adapted kick and bass better, and little else tampering.

I can not listen to your mix right now, but I think I disagree with you in that point. You have to put in some work but can get to a usefull result quite fast if you have a goal in mind. The biggest problem are some pretty nasty resonances, that keep ringing on. Now there are several ways to deal with that, the easiest way out might be gating. Reaching for samples in a context like this seems not right to me. (If I remember correctly, Mike did use some cymbal-samples to enhance what was already there in his Mix Rescue - which is a quite different approach).

Having said this, if your goal really is not achievable with what is delivered, than by all means search a sample that offers you the tonality you like. But you'll learn more if you try conventional processing befor that.
You are absolutely right. I have now tried with Drumagog Kick samples, and I can definitely do not like it for this song.
And as you write, I learn more in the traditional way first
i like it bro.. i didnt listened the original.. but i like your last version.
the drums sound really good here.
Maybe lower a bit the bass level and pump up a bit the guitar solo and lead vocal.. the backing maybe will need a bit of upper too
the vocals ask for some kind of effect to make it more interesting.. its already interesting but it could go to another level with the right efx.
fast phasers/chorus ,short delays ..maybe many layers, idk u have to try.. and make it subtle just to enhance the feeling of the vocal and bringing to it more attention.

nice one
It sounds very 'processed'.... and I think this is where the main issues are with this mix. You know the old saying "less is more"?....Perhaps this is what's sucking the life out of the mix. There are so many tools at our disposal these days that we go a bit overboard and tweek things thinking that the 'tool' will make things better - while all the time it does the opposite. Often, well recorded tracks only need a little EQ and some gentle compression to get a live dynamic mix. Learning NOT to use a particular tool (just because it's there) comes with experience. Try mixing this song with just EQ and a little compression and compare that with this mix. Hope this helps a bit :o)