Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wrong 'Uns: 'Rothko' (SixString's mix)
Hi there.

Had a go at this one, if you have time please let me know what you think.

New mix.

.mp3    WrongUns-Rothko-mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)

.mp3    WrongUns-Rothko-mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.41 MB)

Hi, SixString.

This sounds a pretty respectable mix (even on my crappy PC speakers) - so if it sounds ok there, it's certainly worth downloading for a closer evaluation. I'll be back later today with better feedback once I've had a chance to listen on a better playback system.....

Back again.

Having attempted a test mix of this song myself and being aware of the track "problems", there's not really a lot "wrong" with your mix in my humble opinion. The balance is really good and nothing jumps out at me as being out of place in terms of the respective levels of the voices and instrumentation. The problem area for me was the low-end, however. Personally, I'd roll-off everything below 45Hz. I also did a narrow Q sweep and found the 113Hz to 127Hz range a bit hot. This was masking the acoustic guitars lower-middle range - so by cutting this around 3dB and widening the Q, that helped the clarity. I also did a gentle boost of about 2.5dB at 2.7KHz and widened the Q to further "help" the acoustic guitars. Of course, this is all subjective, but I feel your mix does play back nicer on my system with these slight tweeks. Just one other thing, there's a noticeable amount of hiss in your mix. Maybe worth checking your various signal chains. Being an MP3 (and not the full WAV mix), this evaluation may be a little skewed through lack of sonic detail in an MP3 - but I hope there's enough information here to be useful.
Thank you for your input Robert, I will revisit the mix again and se if I can hear the same thing on my system. About the hiss....A real "fubar" from me Smile I left a really hard working comp on my guitar-buss, so I have to redo the tweaking without drifting away to much. Smile
Updated with a new mix.
Sounds nice here if maybe a bit bottom strong but thats only to my ears but apart from that jobs a good one ,NICE VOCAL SOUND