Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2-Cent
Thank you. I guess I could have given the vocals more detailed faderautomation. But I reached the point where I could not here that song anymore and was happy enough with the overall sound. This, however, is something I will work on the next time. Now I just have to chose the next song...
Hi

I've had a chance to listen to all your mixes and hear the evolution as you improved upon them.

I like the verse distorted guitars on your mix. They are closer to the sound I had in mind on my mix but could not quite achive.

The end section of your mix I feel needs more reverb on the vocals and drums to give it bigger open sound to contrast against the rest of the song.

Great to hear someone elses take on the song.
Thank you for your reply.

(13-08-2012, 08:25 PM)sano Wrote: I like the verse distorted guitars on your mix. They are closer to the sound I had in mind on my mix but could not quite achive.

I did not that much to the guitars at all. I think it is important to chose one mic as the main mic and mix the other in to add some sonical complexity. I did very little eqing and used a touch of delay, so I think it is the choice of the relative levels of the mics (and, not to forget, the way this sound works with the rest of the mix).

Quote:The end section of your mix I feel needs more reverb on the vocals and drums to give it bigger open sound to contrast against the rest of the song.

Well, I aimed at quite the opposite. I did not want it to sound more open or bigger. More like it collapsed a bit. Actually the lower levels from the drums helped in that part, as they gave the compressors less to work on which resulted in that effect. I think it comes down to aesthetic decisions here.
(19-07-2012, 12:17 PM)Artbass Wrote: It took me quite a while but I managed to finish another version. I had to almost start from scratch to get there. The thing I struggeled with was the sustain of the snare. What ever I tried I only acchieved to get it more and more spiky. This, however, ruined the ballance of the mix in a way that did not allow me to post it here Cool.

Anyway, I tried to preserve a bit of that "punk aesthetic" while polishing the tracks. For my personal taste the rooms start to work now (another thing that took me a while to achieve).

My thoughts on this, briefly... During the verse, I'd say add another 1.0-1.5dB to the vocals. They were, for my taste at least, a little low in the mix. In the chorus, probably add another 0.5 dB to add a little more power. At the end, things seemed just fine.

The third guitar part that comes in at the climax of the tune went almost unnoticed. Maybe try to find a different EQ setting or different stereo position for it? Not sure, just know that I kinda liked that addition in the raw tracks and it seems worth trying to retain, but that's just me.

Overall, I agree with the others, this is a decent mix. Nice going...
Old West Audio