Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wrong'uns - Rothko (Robert's Mix)
This is a pretty fast mix for me. I just went with the feel and didn't spend too much time faffing about. I wanted this "quick" mix so that I could compare my gut instinct mix [this one] with a more refined one to follow. What a shame about that little guitar solo.... it screws up at the end ?? Apart from that solo and the vocal tracks, everything seems to have been recorded pretty well. I'll come back to this for version 2 in the future. All comments most welcome :o)

.mp3    Rothko - 26-Feb-2013.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Nice mix that i think,nice strong drums too so overall not to shabby at all i think
listening on my headphones sounds good !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Robert

I like the snare in this track - really up front and crunchy. What did you use to get that effect? Some kind of parallel distortion combined with parallel compression?

There's a bit of low end 'mush' probably from the reverb effect on the kick lurking around the song - might pay to back off the send from the kick or use a LF shelf to take out 200Hz down on the reverb channel to clear it up a bit for the next version.

Otherwise the balance is pretty good for your 'quick mix' - it would take me a whole night to get to this stage of production!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(13-04-2013, 08:15 AM)Dags Wrote: Hi Robert

I like the snare in this track - really up front and crunchy. What did you use to get that effect? Some kind of parallel distortion combined with parallel compression?

There's a bit of low end 'mush' probably from the reverb effect on the kick lurking around the song - might pay to back off the send from the kick or use a LF shelf to take out 200Hz down on the reverb channel to clear it up a bit for the next version.

Otherwise the balance is pretty good for your 'quick mix' - it would take me a whole night to get to this stage of production!

Dags

Hi, Dags.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll bear your comments in mind for the next mix. Cheers :o)

The snare processing is just standard EQ (cutting back around 6dB on 190 Hz and 550 Hz -- medium Q) with a slight lift of 3dB at 2.5 KHz. This happens before passing to a UAD2 1176LN compressor 4:1 ratio (medium attack and fast release). The 1176 is particularly good for adding a very useful kind of distortion / 'dirt' for snare drums - particularly at the higher ratios. There's no reverb on the drums..... completely dry. Hope this helps a bit.

Hi,

if you don't mind I'd like to comment on this mix.

To my ears there is a mismatch in level and tonality between the drums/vocals and the rest. The former are quite high and have a rather open tonality (although the drums have a slight punk-tonality that I do not like - especially the snare and the hihats) while the latter seem rather dull and muddy.

Seeing that this thread is a bit older I doubt that you want to work on it again, I'd say work on the balance - both in level and in sound.

Cheers
Artbass
Thanks, Artbass. Any comments and observations are most welcome.
This was a quick experimental mix with a purpose - but I haven't got around to remixing it as yet.
I'll bear in mind the comments made by yourself and Dags for the remix.
Thanks again, guys :o)