Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etcetera
Hi everyone and Mike Senior, i know im late for this mixing discussion but I just started my mixing endeavor and I'm looking foward to be the best out there! But first step first, so I'd really love to receive constructive criticism so i can start getting better at it.

Thanks in advance!

.mp3    Etc - Omega.mp3 --  (Download: 2.48 MB)

Hiya 'Omega'

That's not a bad start at all.

The next thing you might look at is how to get your bass level up. Your mix comes across as light in the bottom end. Do you have a compressor on the bass track? That's my first idea for improvement.
(27-02-2013, 12:24 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Hiya 'Omega'

That's not a bad start at all.

The next thing you might look at is how to get your bass level up. Your mix comes across as light in the bottom end. Do you have a compressor on the bass track? That's my first idea for improvement.

Thank you for the quick reply! The bass gave me alot of trouble in this mix, it's pretty wild! Especially that 94/95 frequency, just like the 129/130 on the kick drum, anyway i had to do some cutting on the lower end of it so it would be "tamed" and gave a little boost at the mid high end of it. I think it's not a huge difference but maybe it's clearer now, Logic crashed in the process so i had to mix the whole thing again =(

Thanks in advance!

PS: i just heard the last mix and this one, the later one is louder, but that's not the intention, i think the 3 dB headroom i gave made this volume overall boost, but if i put at "8" the volume here at the site on the second mixing i get almost the same level at the first one, anyway i still find "untamable" the bass, even compressing the hell out of it the ammount of dynamics on each note varies so much that the lower notes sound way louder than the higher ones, what i did was cut 4 dB on the lower end of the spectrum around 60 to 110 and boost a little the high mid while compressing it out but still without sucess, any advice?

.mp3    Etc remix.mp3 --  (Download: 2.48 MB)

Hi again. That 2nd version has the bass up a lot better.

This multitrack has a lot of rough recording and playing. I think we have two options, 1) match that with appropriately rough mixing (that's what I did - my bass compression is more like limiting at 14:1 ratio, and consistently squashing by over 12 dB). Add to that some plate reverb and then a heaving master compressor and you can get the sound of a circa 1990 tape 4-track mix.

or 2) try to be a miracle worker. If you want to go this way then the first thing would be to correct the timing, but I would get sick of the song long before I finished that.

So my advice is don't be worried about treating it rough, just have fun.
(27-02-2013, 11:46 PM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Hi again. That 2nd version has the bass up a lot better.

This multitrack has a lot of rough recording and playing. I think we have two options, 1) match that with appropriately rough mixing (that's what I did - my bass compression is more like limiting at 14:1 ratio, and consistently squashing by over 12 dB). Add to that some plate reverb and then a heaving master compressor and you can get the sound of a circa 1990 tape 4-track mix.

or 2) try to be a miracle worker. If you want to go this way then the first thing would be to correct the timing, but I would get sick of the song long before I finished that.

So my advice is don't be worried about treating it rough, just have fun.

I could not have said, or summed things up better than that