Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marco's mix
My first post so hello to allSmile
Thanks Mike, I think this forum is a great idea. I'm new to the art of mixing so I really like the opportunity to get some critics. I hope there will be a good bit of discussion. I bought your Mixing Secrets book and it helped me a lot to get started.

This is my first try on reggae. It's not mastered so my version is pretty quiet. Compared to the versions already posted it feels bass light. I'm looking forward to any critics.

Have fun, thanks - Marco

.mp3    Run Run Run.mp3 --  (Download: 8.57 MB)

I like the warmth of this mix, and the slightly closer and more claustrophobic presentation than my preview mix -- more dubby somehow. To my ears, though, the organ bubbles appear to be bloating the low midrange here, which generally gives the mix a slightly murky feel, and also limits your scope for bringing out the bass line for small-speaker listeners. I started rolling off the organ's low end around 500-600Hz, and while I'm not suggesting that you necessarily want your mix to sound identical to mine (it'd be a pretty boring world if everyone's mixes came out the same!), I think you could at least lose some sub-200Hz information without any serious casualties in terms of mix 'warmth'.

The vocals are quite strong on the low midrange too, which doesn't help the mix tone either, especially as you've chosen to balance them quite high in the mix. They feel a bit muffled to me, and the thick reverb tail emphasises that. In general, I think I'd probably pull back that reverb a touch, and substitute some delay for it, even if you still combine that with reverb. The density of the effect as it stands hides more of the background detail than I'd ideally like, personally.

Hope some of that makes sense!

Even though the bass is a bit low in the mix like you thought, I still think this is a really nice sounding mix, and it is Good Work.