Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
dB S mix
Hi

this is my take at it.
Cheers
Eric

.mp3    TurnOnMe.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

hi db where is the second half of the song Smile as you can hear from my mix i loved the vocal more up front and the bass in ,i lose the vocal alot ind it seem to be masked by evry thing alse ,hear mine and let me know what you think.
(02-06-2012, 10:33 PM)uzilevi Wrote: hi db where is the second half of the song Smile as you can hear from my mix i loved the vocal more up front and the bass in ,i lose the vocal alot ind it seem to be masked by evry thing alse ,hear mine and let me know what you think.

That's odd, here I can hear the whole song?! Try refreshing the page maybe?
I'll listen on your mix on the studio monitor and let you know.
regards
Hi,

good news: I can hear the whole song too!

Mixing-wise, I generally welcome a spacious, orderly populated sound stage, and would therefore normally have a bias for uzilevi's mix -- which pleasantly surprised me, because I perceive it as the most spacious mix I heard from him so far.

Listening to this (Eric's) mix, however, I like it even more, because to me it emphasizes an intimacy that eventually serves this particular song better.

Having said that, I think I'd like to hear something in the middle between these two mixes. And starting from this mix, I would wish firstly the flute a little bit more room, and only then the vocal.

Marc
hi i needed to update flash it showed jast now so evry thing is ok.
but i still like my vir more, you can hear even the wind on the flut as he plays, for me my mix take you in to the scene more.
its all about taste .and good taste is what makes the mix good ,you as a mixer jast give your tast and hope that some will like it ,and you know some will not, and both wayes are good.

marc
soory is "I perceive it as the most spacious mix I heard from him so far" meaning you like my work ?
one of the mixer job is to make ambianc so i cant say i did somthing bad Smile do you like what you hear in my mixes ? you didnt comant on any.
what mixes do you like and what mixes you dont like?
Uzilevi,

I like a number of the decisions you made in your mixes, and I find all of them instructive, in one way or another. I learn a lot from comparing two different mixes of one song, like in this case. What I like most about your work is therefore the wealth of mixes you provided -- a significant contribution to the... hm... creative seed of this site, if you will.

I will comment more on your mixes when I understand better what I am talking about. But not here, of course, because this is about Eric's mix.

Marc
Hi Eric,

Liked your mix, from what I can hear everything is well balanced, nice separation between the 2 rhythm guitars, and the flute and vocals level were just right, bass sounded solid and drums were mixed nicely and the overall spaciousness was just right for that style.

Vinnie
hi marc i didnt say you need to post here of course this is about Eric's mix, i like you to post on my mix Smile)))
You've gone from a more 'glued' mix here than in uzilevi's bold LCR presentation, which makes a nice comparison. I like the way you've tried to differentiate the guitar and ukelele parts so that they both demand more individual attention (even in mono) rather than melding into a unified dual-layer rhythm instrument. However, I wonder whether that leads to them feeling a lop-sided in stereo mix.

In terms of overall tonality, I do like the warmth of your vision, with the dependable low end and solid, insistent kick. It does feel as if the top end might have lost out a bit, though -- the drums and vocal seem to lack a degree of air. Just adding some top octave over the whole mix helps for me, opening everything out a touch. A bit less 300Hz on the Ukelele might also help the balance a bit, and maybe even slightly remedy the slight stereo tilt I'm feeling. Could the snare have a bit more low end? This might be a phase thing -- a slightly different time/polarity relationship might be all you need.

Like the fact that you've been tangling with the flute breath levels, but I think you might have thrown the baby out with the bathwater a bit. Although the breaths can be obtrusive if you leave them as is, they do lend a certain emotional immediacy and sense of authenticity to the performance as a whole. The breath at 3:11 feels fine to me, for example, so I don't think there's any need to rein in the others so astringently.

Overall, good stuff, though. I can see The Phonk's point too, that something between this mix and uzilevi's would be nice to hear too, because they both have so much to offer.
Thanks for the helful comments Mike. I'm only not sure I get what you mean regarding the lop-sided stereo with the guitar & ukulele. Do you mean it's tilted too much towards the ukulele side?
Cheers
Eric

(09-06-2012, 12:04 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: You've gone from a more 'glued' mix here than in uzilevi's bold LCR presentation, which makes a nice comparison. I like the way you've tried to differentiate the guitar and ukelele parts so that they both demand more individual attention (even in mono) rather than melding into a unified dual-layer rhythm instrument. However, I wonder whether that leads to them feeling a lop-sided in stereo mix.

In terms of overall tonality, I do like the warmth of your vision, with the dependable low end and solid, insistent kick. It does feel as if the top end might have lost out a bit, though -- the drums and vocal seem to lack a degree of air. Just adding some top octave over the whole mix helps for me, opening everything out a touch. A bit less 300Hz on the Ukelele might also help the balance a bit, and maybe even slightly remedy the slight stereo tilt I'm feeling. Could the snare have a bit more low end? This might be a phase thing -- a slightly different time/polarity relationship might be all you need.

Like the fact that you've been tangling with the flute breath levels, but I think you might have thrown the baby out with the bathwater a bit. Although the breaths can be obtrusive if you leave them as is, they do lend a certain emotional immediacy and sense of authenticity to the performance as a whole. The breath at 3:11 feels fine to me, for example, so I don't think there's any need to rein in the others so astringently.

Overall, good stuff, though. I can see The Phonk's point too, that something between this mix and uzilevi's would be nice to hear too, because they both have so much to offer.