Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Click Track Drifting?
31-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Click Track Drifting?
Hi All,

not sure if this is an appropriate place for this discussion, but I've decided to tackle this as my first project to work though along with the book.

Going through the process of tidying up the project prior to beginning mixing, i'm noticing that the click track provided with the files seems to drift in and out of time with the metronome in my DAW (Reaper). Trying evening in between BPM settings will cuase the click to sync at random points in the song then drift out of sync for others.

It seems to me either: 1) the provided click has drift issues or 2) they purposely changed the tempo on the click a BPM or 2 during the song (speed up for chorus, lay back for verse).

How are other dealing with this...I'm thinking at the moment to jsut get the click as close as I can to a whole number BPM and adjust the tracks timing to that.

Any input/feedback is greatly appreciated
Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2012, 07:47 AM
RE: Click Track Drifting?
I've not had a close look at these multitracks yet, but my instinct would be to disregard what the click track's doing and concentrate on the rhythm inherent in the music. That means using the most important rhythm instrument in each section as the timing reference, checking that this reference point feels in time, and then tightening anything other tracks that you feel need tightening in relation to the reference. In this case (judging by the preview mix at least), the first reference point would be the electric guitar, then the double-tracked acoustic guitars, then the drums.

If the musicians have deliberately let the click drift for musical reasons, then I'd certainly be reluctant to try matching the timing of any of the parts to the click, because the click is irrelevant as far as the listener is concerned. Besides, it's not atypical that the players themselves drift slightly ahead/behind the click while tracking, so even if it were completely metronomic I'd still be cagey about editing to the click rather than to the drums (or whatever the reference instrument happens to be at any given point in the timeline).

Hope that helps!

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
31-05-2012, 03:36 PM
hi i think like mike .snd by listning to mike mix i cant hear any need to need for the grid do you need any editing? for this is the only thing that can help you in new parts,for mixing you dont need any click and if it dont change alot the delay will be ok when you find it ,you can uze any delay that have tap on it. can you say why you need the grid alined.
02-06-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the replies.

At the point I was at was just making sure I had the correct BPM set for project as part of the mix setup/organizing /multing before examining the individual tracks. I ended up actually using Mikes Reaper tempo mapping for live tracks article from SOS to figure out a BPM that matches (118.018....probably close enough to just call it 118 and be done with it).

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/ar...h-0311.htm

anyways...on with the rest of the track cleanup.

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: