Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
River's Risin'
Attention: Sorry about the 5 stars rating.. that was my fault. I clicked it by accident and can't change it. Not sure how that's supposed to work.

trying to keep this live and open... hope you approve.

I've uploaded a remix again after listening on other systems today.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vz8rxvvqajpx2...e.JPG?dl=0

-----------------------------------------------
Statistics for: RiverRisin.mp3
Number of Samples: 18858240

left right

Peak value: -1.33 dB --- -1.00 dB
Avg RMS: -14.59 dB --- -14.61 dB
DR channel: 12.16 dB --- 12.66 dB

Official DR value: DR12
===============================================

.mp3    RiverRisin.mp3 --  (Download: 16.42 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. ~ E.K.
Hey graph,

I generally like your levels, but I feel like your instruments are fighting with each other a bit. With that, during the verses, it is hard to hear the vocals. I'm not sure that your vocals are not turned up enough, but maybe thinning the mandolin out just a little bit will help with things. Also, too much low mids in the banjo can really cover a lot of detail in the whole mix. Also, I think during the solo breaks, the banjo can definitely come up.

I know there is a ton of bleed of the mandolin in the lead vox, maybe that's where the issue lies. It's a little difficult to fully suss it out.

Also (i know I said you need to thin it out a little bit, but. . .) your mandolin sounds great. Especially during the chops during the banjo solo (I know, I'm full of contradiction).

There might need to be a little compromise that happens so the instruments don't fight as much, and your sound stage seems a little small. Try widening your panning a just a bit?

Hopefully I'm somewhere near the mark on this.

Happy Mixing!

Draper

I guess my first reaction to the critique is that I'm doing something different than you. I'm trying to give it the sound of a live performance without all of the tricks. In bluegrass, the nature of the instruments causes them to struggle with each other. I left that struggle in. No stage show has that wide of a stereo image. It wasn't by accident that mine is narrower. I started with banjo and mando split wide like you did and it does make it easier to hear each. But it's not realistic. I did some things with EQ to try to differentiate them. I pulled the drums all in closer as I went also. I mixed in mono a lot of the time and it turns out I can hear each instrument at a level that suits me.
This isn't an angry rant, just my observations about the critique. We chose different paths. I haven't had time to put into writing anything about yours or the other mixes yet. Thanks for your input and taking the time to give it a listen.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. ~ E.K.
Not taken as an angry rant at all! I understand completely, your choices. I had my mix in my head, so I was hearing it how I did! Like I said, I like your levels, and your mix is solid, especially going for the live bluegrass feel, which is totally understandable. Mixing is quite subjective, isn't it?

Cheers!
Draper