Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sirens mixed by Artbass
Hi all,

I had to fight this beast, but I think I got it as far as I can take it without getting a new perspective from the outside (read: you). So remove that wax from your ears and dive into this... Wink

I really like this song. But the arrangement and even more the delivered tracks have some problems build in. First of all: it is a very dense arrangement with a lot of sonic layers. Then there are two tracks with printed in effects: the lapsteel and one of the electric guitars (using a tremolo). I would have very much prefered to get those without effects.

The next big problem were the backing vocals. Although the overall arrangement is beautiful with three different voices (each doubletracked) accompanying the lead vocals and one additional "siren", the stricked doubling of the lyrics leads to many sibiliants building up. So I spend quite some time editing the backing vocals, deleting s-es and words (the word "to" can produce some problems...) - and working on timing issues within the backing vocals. I learned one thing from that: when arranging backing vocals, look out for those "dangerous" words and try to avoid as many s-es as you can.

Feel free to comment and tell me what you think about my mix and where I could/should improve it.

Thanks
Artbass

.mp3    SirensM1_Final.mp3 --  (Download: 15.55 MB)

.mp3    SirensM2_Final.mp3 --  (Download: 15.55 MB)

Hi there, i haven't listened to the separate tracks of this so i've got no clue about the quality but here comes my impressions. I find the whole sound stage a bit cluttered especially when listening in monitors, it sound much better when listening in headphones. I miss some air or "closeness" in all except maybe the vocals (and slide), it sounds a bit boxy and small lacking other words.
So does the example mix that comes with the song but it got more separation pan wise that i like. I am sorry that i can't pinpoint what i hear, i need to practice giving comments as much as on my mixing i think.
Hi SixString

and thank you for taking the time to comment. I agree with you and already started to mix again. I will post a new version soon.

Cheers
Artbass
Alright, I've created a second version. I revisited my panning decisions and made some small changes to the arrangement (mostly muting parts) to create more clarity.

The one thing I wish I could have changed were the tom fills. The guitar work and the vocals are really lovely, but the drums are boring as hell. The drummer uses the very same fills and build-ups throughout the song. He (she?) could have gone so much further, without distroying anything. I also realised that the guitar solo bleeds heavily into the organ. Now that tells you something about the attention I spent on this instrument during my first mix...
I listened your version last night and I appreciate your panning decisions, especially makin the piano mono are a clever call, and the overall levelchoices. Only the bg voxes are too loud and upfront for me, I dont know why but I think it would have fitted better with a siren further away and the verb helpin the voice. The Gilmore solo could come up a bit i think.

Great work with this tough one Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order