Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Alan Evans Trio_If You Want My Love_mix by Tommy Marcinek
Big Grin

A lot of songs in the series....just did the first one called "If You Want My Love." These Telefunken mixes I find are a real challenge due to all the mic bleeds. After listening to my mix again with fresh ears I know it's probably a bit bottom heavy or otherwise a bit muddy, but it's ok. Any questions/comments are always welcomed.

Tom

P.S. The second mix is one I uploaded after getting some feedback.....Let me know if the second mix sounds better. Thanks. Tom

.mp3    If You Want My Love_mix by Tommy Marcinek.mp3 --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

.mp3    If You Want My Love_5_.mp3 --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Thanks for feedback! I don't think your mix is too bottom heavy, although I have a very limited bass response on my setup. Couple of things I'd do differently: I think there's just a bit too much "snap" on the kick, and the reverb on the vocals doesn't feel right. Otherwise you have great energy and punch going on, especially during the instrumental parts.
(03-04-2015, 01:12 AM)kapu Wrote: Thanks for feedback! I don't think your mix is too bottom heavy, although I have a very limited bass response on my setup. Couple of things I'd do differently: I think there's just a bit too much "snap" on the kick, and the reverb on the vocals doesn't feel right. Otherwise you have great energy and punch going on, especially during the instrumental parts.

Thanks for the feedback. I have almost the same conversation with Patrick Talbot (I've mixed 3 of his songs on here) about the way I love to mix the kick drum. I just LOVE a nice snap on that kick.....love to hear that beater....it's just me. But I realize that I'm mixing for others so I better get that under control :-). As for the reverb on the vocal: I used a convolution reverb with a short decay. That might be what's not sitting right with you. Although, for his type of voice, to me, if felt just right.....he has almost a James Brown kinda of voice. I should have mixed in less of it though. Do you think that's what it might be concerning the reverb?

Tom
(03-04-2015, 03:34 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: I just LOVE a nice snap on that kick.....love to hear that beater....it's just me.

Big Grin I knew you were going to say that!

A cool mix, but you've let your addiction take the better of you again! Wink
You know what they say: too much of a good thing is not a good thing...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(03-04-2015, 03:34 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I have almost the same conversation with Patrick Talbot (I've mixed 3 of his songs on here) about the way I love to mix the kick drum. I just LOVE a nice snap on that kick.....love to hear that beater....it's just me. But I realize that I'm mixing for others so I better get that under control :-). As for the reverb on the vocal: I used a convolution reverb with a short decay. That might be what's not sitting right with you. Although, for his type of voice, to me, if felt just right.....he has almost a James Brown kinda of voice. I should have mixed in less of it though. Do you think that's what it might be concerning the reverb?

Tom

I think the reverb has "weird" sound, a some sort of metallic quality which just doesnt seem to fit, and it's level is kind of high. It's like he is singing inside a cargo container or something. Smile I'd go with more classic hall or plate type algorithmic or convolution at a lower level.
(03-04-2015, 12:58 PM)kapu Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 03:34 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I have almost the same conversation with Patrick Talbot (I've mixed 3 of his songs on here) about the way I love to mix the kick drum. I just LOVE a nice snap on that kick.....love to hear that beater....it's just me. But I realize that I'm mixing for others so I better get that under control :-). As for the reverb on the vocal: I used a convolution reverb with a short decay. That might be what's not sitting right with you. Although, for his type of voice, to me, if felt just right.....he has almost a James Brown kinda of voice. I should have mixed in less of it though. Do you think that's what it might be concerning the reverb?

Tom

I think the reverb has "weird" sound, a some sort of metallic quality which just doesnt seem to fit, and it's level is kind of high. It's like he is singing inside a cargo container or something. Smile I'd go with more classic hall or plate type algorithmic or convolution at a lower level.

Cool....thanks for your input and analysis......I love this site! :-) Interestingly, I used the Waves IR with a Hall setting, but I dialed back the decay time, which you can do with their Convolution reverb. I think the lesson is, I should not change the convolution settings because it changes the way it sounds in a negative way. I also eq'd it and maybe that's also what made it sound bad. In any case, thanks again for your input.

Tom
Kapu, I uploaded another mix which appears right below the first one at the beginning of this post. Let me know if you think I have corrected some of the things we discussed. I think it's much better now.

Tom
(03-04-2015, 04:14 AM)ptalbot Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 03:34 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: I just LOVE a nice snap on that kick.....love to hear that beater....it's just me.

Big Grin I knew you were going to say that!

A cool mix, but you've let your addiction take the better of you again! Wink
You know what they say: too much of a good thing is not a good thing...

LOL...Patrick...I knew YOU were going to say THAT.....Hee heee....yeah I gotta get that under control. But, I uploaded another mix which I think is much better overall and the vocal is better too....what about the kick? Still too much beater?

Tom

Kick sounds more balanced to me now Tom! Great mix! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(04-04-2015, 08:03 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Kick sounds more balanced to me now Tom! Great mix! Smile

Patrick.....thanks man, I appreciate it. It was hard for me to do ya know...hard to turn down that beater.....LOL! Seriously, though.....thanks again.

Tom