Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMR - Dark Ride: 'Dead Enemies'
Hi All

Here's my mix of the song...only my second attempt at this genre...certainly not as "in your face" as the demo but it works for me

Really enjoyed the song - well programmed, played and recorded.

As always your comments are welcome

Enjoy

.mp3    TMR-M-Dark Ride - Dead Enemies.mp3 --  (Download: 12.89 MB)

if a man speaks his mind and there's no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?
as always I´m listening to the mix on normal hifi-speakers and not my Adams.

pro:
- it's punchy
- the vocals are loud and clear
- the melody guitars in the second verse and the rhythm guitars are not masking each other

con:
- you need to reamp some of the guitar tracks in the 1st verse (the ones with a "DI" in the track name Smile )
- you probably didn't read any of the other mix critiques or listened to them. there are some basic things you haven't done like changing the "dead enemies"-part at 1:36.
- the piano would probably sound better with more saturation
- the beginning of the heavy part at 3:07 is very underwhelming. listen to the original mix - that part really comes in from nowhere. in you mix it sounds very unemotional and flat. it needs more punch and movement.
- the snare sample in the blast beat is too loud. listen to the miced snare tracks and you will hear that the sample is clearly out of time. you need to turn the sample track down by 10 db or use a sample of your own to beef up the snare in the blastbeat but right now it sounds like the drummer can't play blastbeats and is just hitting he snare as fast as he can. I can guarantee you that the drummer who played this (it was NOT programmed) is an expert at blastbeats (it's Kevin Talley from Daath/Dying Fetus/Battlecross/Suffocation)

Overall you mix is missing attention to detail. I also think there is no automation throughout the song - every part has the same volume which makes this mix flat and unemotional after a while. correct me if I´m wrong Smile
btw you should read my FAQ for this song - I just did an update today that will probably help you.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...6#pid29096

cheers and have good day,
Blitzzz
thanks for the comments Blitzzz...greatly appreciated.

if a man speaks his mind and there's no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?