Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogiesnakes - It's my right kapu mix
I liked that guitar solo very much.

.m4a    boogiesnakes-__it_s_my_right_kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 10.39 MB)

Nice sounding mix I like it ,Good job with the balance especially the bass ,and the vocal effects sound great .
One minor thing that stands out to me and is probably personal taste thing is the electric guitar in the intro and the verse sounds odd panned to one side especially on headphones Big Grin.
Thanks for the feedback. Updated the mix a little by adding some spring reverb for the verse guitar and panned it opposite.
Sounds even better now Big Grin
Good balance, nice sound!
Thanks. I stole some sonic ideas from you guys and did a completely new version. Smile
Great balance and punch - great snare.
You left dynamics for chorus - good call !
If the solo spuns great I have a question:
whats not to like about this mix ?

I have a question Big Grin

The toms are a bit bas heavy, Im not sure its a problem
Great work !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Nice work and enjoyable to listen to. I particularly enjoyed your work on the snare drum, very punchy and tasty. A couple of things I would consider would be possibly bringing the lead vox up a touch and add a bit of space to the guitar solo. Maybe even EQ a touch of the low mids from the guitars to open up a bit. Overall, really nice though.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Mick, I think the slight muddiness comes actually from the bass, not guitars. I tried to make that late seventies and early eighties fusion bass sound with a lot of lower middle punch, but seem to have failed miserably. Anyway, I decided to call the slight muddiness "that analog feel and warmth" and just left it there, thus trying to mask my lack of skill as a stylistic choice.

The dryish solo sound is an actual stylistic decision, for I first tried that "hero-with-long-hair-driving-a-volvo-convertible-to-a-mountain-top-to-fight-off-a-dragon"-type huge sound, but to my taste it just didn't seem to fit, although there's still some delay and reverb there.

People seem to like the snare sound. On both mics there's firstly an eq with some cuts in the lower middle region, and a boost on the highs on bottom mic. There is Logic's Enveloper (I think it's a SPL's transient designer copy) on the upper mic for the punch, and a slight compression on the lower mic to bring out the rattle. These are then fed into a bus, which first has a limiter just to tame some of the loudest peaks, then a gate with 3 dB reduction and set so that it in effect "boosts" 3 dBs the louder hits. And finally there's a wide boost on the 200 hZ area to bring out the body and punch more.

Anyway, I could use some tips on mixing the bass. I think I can get quite decent sound out of most tracks and make a working mix out of them, and then I bring up the bass and it just ruins everything. It just masks and muddies everything and still it lacks clarity and definition no matter what type of EQing and processing I try to apply.
Hi kapu, in regards to the bass, there's a couple of things you could try here. Perhaps some parallel compression gently mixed in (use a really squashed parallel to blend), maybe even a shelving EQ at the top end to brighten up some of the blended tone and highlight the great playing on the bass (you wouldn't need much and obviously you don't want it to take up the valuable space in that frequency range). This may seem odd, but you could also try removing some of the 125hZ content from the guitars and then add some 125hZ to the bass. Even a small adjustment of a couple of DB can make a big difference, at the same time you won't lose the warmth of the tone because you are adding and boosting at the same time in a separate area.