Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another brick in the Bannockburn wall of sound
Hi guys

Please check out my mix, and feel free to skip the prose!

Following Mike's advice I spent quite a bit of time working with the phase-alignment of the multimiked drums in order to reduce the timbre-damaging effects of comb-filtering. I blended in the provided samples for increased timbral and dynamical consistency, while trying to preserve the natural character. During the blast-beat sections with very fast snare-hits (ex. Chorus and intro), I chose to add less of the snare sample, and ended up processing the snare in these parts entirely differently than the more forceful snare in the verses etc. I also felt the need to add in hipass filtered kick-drum samples to gain a bit more “click” and again, consistency. Overhead mics were also hipass filtered to pretty much isolate the cymbals and hihat and to free up the low end and lower midrange. I basically set the cutoff as high as possible without affecting the sound of the brasswork. Oh, and lots of fiddling with gates on the snare, hihat and kick close-mics. Would have been easier to just use samples all the wayWink

The guitars had loads of rumble in the low end, and these were hipass filtered at around 450 Hz to leave more space for the synths, snare and toms. I found an extremely strong peak in the distortion-induced white noise at 2kHz – it was almost pitched and I realized that it made the mix sound like the Norse winds were blowing hard. It added atmosphere, but took too much space in the busy mix, which led me to cut it in most of the track, making it a bit more prominent in the open guitar-only parts . I also found a relatively strong obtrusive hiss at 4.7kHz, which I notched out. All in all, the guitars have been mangled to make room in the mix, so it may not be to everybody's liking. I decided not to re-amp the guitars and instead try to make the best of it – I thought this could be a good exercise in itself.

I notice other mixes here have used saturation on the vocals with good results, and I would consider this in the future, or if I decide to give this mix another shot.

Overall I found that I had to do a lot of subtractive EQ and panning to unmask the mix elements and to keep harshness at a tolerable level (definitely waaay too soft for true old-school norwegian black metallers). Stereo width manipulation of the synths using M/S processing helped me free up the middle of the stereo image, instead placing their emphasis on the sides portion of the mix.

On the master buss I did some gentle EQ, mostly cutting a bit around 400Hz with a wide Q, because there was an energy buildup that could be reduced for clarity. After this I added gentle compression for mix glue, and in the end limiting, again trying to do as little harm as possible.

I would like to thank Cnoc An Tursa for making their raw material accessible, it was great fun working with this track! And also a huge thanks to Mike Senior for writing mixing secrets; If I had not had access to its well-laid out methodology I would have stumbled screaming into many more mixing pitfalls than I already did during this black metal adventure!

Hope you enjoy the mix, and suggestions for improvements are very welcome!

.mp3    Bannockburn_BussProcessed-RasmusHoell_2015-03-26.mp3 --  (Download: 10.91 MB)

its very great
i can hear very badASS bass through the bright guitar tones and that's what i call great mix in death metal although i feel mixing the death metal is about mixing it more darker because more dark you can get,more atmosphere you can add to the feeling of the song
very well done
Cheers rasmus,

cool mix, really enjoyed it. Not too bright, too harsh, too honky - everything sits in the right place. If you compare your mix with Immortal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo) the guitars sound different and somewhat "unusual" for this kind of genre (black/death metal) but I like it.

Good job mate!
(09-02-2016, 12:19 PM)HR Moeeni Ara Wrote: its very great
i can hear very badASS bass through the bright guitar tones and that's what i call great mix in death metal although i feel mixing the death metal is about mixing it more darker because more dark you can get,more atmosphere you can add to the feeling of the song
very well done

Thanks a lot! I also feel the mix is pretty solid, especially due to the prominent lower midrange frequencies of the bass. In a track like this where the guitars are not playing chugga-chugga, there is plenty of room for the bass down there.
Coming back to the mix after this long, I can agree that it is be a bit to the bright side - perhaps especially in sections where the hihat is playing. I remember that I found the hihat somewhat difficult to balance. One could definitely experiment with decreasing the brightness to move towards a more atmospheric style, as you suggest. Coming to think of it: it is interesting how cymbals at a low volume can seem bigger than when they're loud in the mix. Perhaps faint cymbals just increases the depth of the soundstage, as though they are way out there in the distance.

(13-02-2016, 01:54 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Cheers rasmus,

cool mix, really enjoyed it. Not too bright, too harsh, too honky - everything sits in the right place. If you compare your mix with Immortal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo) the guitars sound different and somewhat "unusual" for this kind of genre (black/death metal) but I like it.

Good job mate!

Thank you Blitzzz, I'm glad you like it! And thank you for providing a perspective on the choice of guitar-sound. I wanted to make the guitar sound quite lo-fi and old-school (though without bringing in harshness in the process). So it has this radio-like quality, and definitely a much narrower frequency range than modern-sounding acts like the newer Immortal. The choice was also a technical one in order to carve out room for the bass and the hihat/cymbals.
It could be an interesting challenge to remix the track and aim for a more modern sound in the guitars. I would probably reamp them in that case.

Cheers!