Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Dummy Shake
Second time mixing this one... I've been listening to old mixes to gauge my progress and thought I'd give it another go since I like the song so much.

.mp3    BigDummyShakeTake2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hey Pauli Enjoying listening to your mix I don't know how I missed your first mix but having a quick listen to both versions I can hear a huge improvement.
This is one I have to come back to and have another go soon also.
I like the full sound of the guitar and drums in the intro ,being critical besides the kick at 0.29 with the change of drums looses some bottom end punch and the paned cow bell maybe just a touch upfront to my ears and taste, you have done a great mix Big Grin .

Cheers.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond, Don. Let me know when you mix a new version so I can listen.

You're right about the drums, that's a tricky transition... I'd think about a sub-kick sample for the live drums if I remixed this. I think a fast compressor and a little high cut would sort the cowbell out. I remember thinking that but I was too busy fiddling with the drums Tongue
This is is a very good mix, Pauli! I enjoyed listening to those guitars... so cohesive!! I like the cowbells how they are but this is all a matter of taste :-)

At 1.43 when they go "oh-oh" just for a milisecond, I hear something strange in the backvocals. I think that it could sound better rolling off a little bit of their midlows with some automation in that phrase only and not the rest of the song.
mixing since April 2013
Hi Pauli, nice work. I like the claps (with FX) you've put in, they add a nice element. It's funny, but after you've mixed the song yourself you can't help comparing it to what you've done! I'm not that keen on your snare sound in the verses, but I'm so used to something different! Good guitar sounds, and overall things are balanced well. I like the way you open the mix up width-ways in the chorus, that's nice. I'm wondering if the lead vox doesn't have quite enough presence in the verses? I like the sound of your electronic drums Smile
Oops, was listening to v1, couldn't work out why both of your mixes sounded so similar! V2 is much better! Much better sound, and you've balanced everything The lead vocal has that presence I was after, and you've smoothed out the guitars to fill in the gaps (if that makes sense) without taking away any of their presence. Nice work Smile Snare is working much better for me too!
Hey, thanks for your review. The big difference between the first and second mix was an upgraded room and monitors. I've since upgraded again so I may need to give it another go Smile
Very nice mix!! Very good dynamics! My one criticism; a little too much overall reverb for my taste. Otherwise, this sounds great.
(25-01-2016, 03:51 PM)k14studios Wrote: Very nice mix!! Very good dynamics! My one criticism; a little too much overall reverb for my taste. Otherwise, this sounds great.

Thanks, Kirk, I appreciate that. Reverb is the hardest part of mixing in my opinion.