Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Dead Enemies
So, I read the FAQ and didn't do much to the vocals and used them as they are with the exception of one of the tracks which I filtered. Doesn't kill the flow for me at all to be honest, they are nicely recorded and have been processed already.

I'm quite a KE fan, and didn't listen to any of their tracks for reference when mixing either.

OK, here goes Smile

And the 2nd one: fixed the whisper at 1:39 and more beef to the guitars!

.mp3    Dark Ride - Dead Enemies.mp3 --  (Download: 10.55 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride - Dead Enemies2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.6 MB)

You need to fix the "Dead Enemies"-whisper at 1:39. It sounds awful and it destroys the flow of the song if you use it like a regular vocal part. It wasn't meant to be used like that so you should change it really drastically or delete it.

The story behind it: When I started mixing Dead Enemies there was a small pause after verse 1 that led into the first chorus but the chorus was very boring so I decided to throw it away. With the chorus gone I needed some sort of transition from verse 1 to verse 2 to keep the flow. So I took the "Dead Enemies"-phrase from the last part of the song and turned it into some sort of creepy background whisper - and it worked. check the example if you wanna hear it for yourself.

That's why you can't use it without changing it into some sort of fx - it wasn't there in the first place and it's only there to make the pause between verse 1 and 2 more interesting.

The mix itself is okay - did you cut some mids from the guitars? they sound somewhat thin right now. they could be also more "in your face".

.mp3    Example.mp3 --  (Download: 347.34 KB)

Ah, got it. Yeah, I did scoop the rhythm guitars a bit and actually, I went in an EQ'd the entire mix as well, and scooped some more mids on the entire mix and on the guitars it's a bit too much. Had a listen in the car and the guitars could definitely use some more beef! I'll go ahead and get that done.