Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set Me Free - Mastermix Audio Media
Had some fun with this one. Nice tracking!

.mp3    MAM_Set_Me_Free.mp3 --  (Download: 5.46 MB)

Sounds like you had some fun indeed! I like that! Big Grin
Some really cool ideas, like the treatment of the loop, nice modulation there!
The little delay throws on the vocals are a nice touch as well. Good sound for the Rhodes, bass is OK although a bit low (in level): it has a tendency to be masked by the horns and drums (probably the reverb/ambience is eating a good deal of the low-end).
A few things that I'm less convinced with are:
- the horns are very far away in the mix, like they are way behind the rest of the group which is "in your face" close in comparison
- the drums are also quite drenched in room/reverb, they lack a bit of presence and punch IMHO
- the vocal sound is a bit muffled, perhaps the reverb on it has a bit too much low-mids?
Still a cool effort with some nice ideas! Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Patrick, appreciate the mix notes. I'll put up another version incorporating them soon!

Once again, nice track. Different and enjoyable.
Another version.

The changes:

1. Dialed back the wetness on the Horns and brought forward in mix.

2. Ran a little higher frequency on the hipass for the Vox submix. Tamed the verb lo-mid issue as well.

3. Tweaked the drums, ran a gate on the Kick submix to tighten it up and brought it forward along with the rest of the drums. EQ'd the kick to give it a bit more bite as well as a bit of hipass and some shelf at 90Hz. Also did some slight LF filtering on the loop, 12dB/Oct @ 44.6Hz

4. Raised the Bass level and did a bit of EQ

.mp3    MAM_Set_Me_Free_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.4 MB)

Sounds better to me! One thing I just noticed, looks like the delay on the lead guitar is a bit too loud, have you changed that? Or is it the changes from the rest that made it sound more prominent?
Anyway, just a nitpick and probably taste related. All in all I quite like it. Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I suspect the latter, I did do some frequency sculpting that might have made that delay a little more apparent. Overall I like it much better. Thanks again for the track and the critique.

Ken