Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facade - A first attempt at someone else's music - Comments, suggestions please
Hello all,

This is my very first attempt at mixing someone else's song. Not sure why I picked this one, as it was quite challenging for me.

First of all, the situation.

I'm in a new house, so my room in completely untreated (bad, I know). I'm in a large-ish odd shaped room, with a large open closet, and 3 windows.

I'm using Reaper on a PC with mostly stock plugins or freebies, Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 Interface w/JBL LSR 305's and a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.

What I've done.

The first thing that was a challenge were the cymbals, I ended up gating the snare bottom pretty hard and bringing down the room and overheads, so there's less "splashiness".

The guitars were tough as well. I ended up splicing parts together from one of the tracks, split them left and right, put the left 180 degrees out of phase and stuck a chorus on the right one.

The backup vocals on the chorus are actually 4 tracks, pitch shifted using Reaper's stock pitch shifter.

I used Superior Drummer for some toms and crash accents that got lost by turning the other tracks down. The kick is a sample I found, I think it might be a bit too aggressive for this song, I tamed it down as best I could.

Please have a listen and let me know what you think, and what can be improved!

Thanks,

--S

.mp3    Facade_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.39 MB)

Why did you pan your snare ? I think that you need more reverb on snare and some delay on main vocal. All in all, too dry mix for my taste.