Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jacob Smith - Lyndsey Ollard - Catching Up
Hey all,

This is a great song. It was really awesome to mix something recorded at Abbey Road; the drums pretty much mixed themselves and the room sounded great. I also didn't have to do much to the guitars other than some panning, light eq and reverb on a few tracks.

I really hate that chorused guitar sound on this particular song and thought about replacing it just to make the song sound better. It just doesn't fit the earthy vibe of the rest of the song. If this were actually one I was doing for myself or a client, I would replace that tone in a heartbeat.

As for some mix notes, I re-amped the bass DI and blended the DI in with the amp. Vocals just go through a filter, de-esser, EQ, Serial Comp, EQ again. Drums are processed pretty standard; lots of EQ and compression, plus a good amount of saturation on the snare channel. I switched the narrower of the two room tracks to mono and smashed it up the middle fairly aggressively, then tightened up the wider room and filtered out some lows. Overall I dig this drum tone.

I would love some feedback! I couldn't find the album version of this song out there anywhere - I really wanted to hear what it sounded like once I got done to see how much I still suck. So what do I need to work on?

.mp3    Jacob Smith - Lyndsey Ollard - Catching Up.mp3 --  (Download: 8.6 MB)