Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free - mixed by mick2015
Great jazz tune and a pleasure to mix. Feedback and comments are most welcome.

Cheers,
Mick

.mp3    P Talbot - Set me free - MIX002 MASTERED MN.mp3 --  (Download: 11.24 MB)

Hi Mick, hopefully you will accept feedback from me, and take it as it is... In any case feel free to disregard.

I'm glad you like the tune, I think you did a good job with it.
I especially like the treatment of the lead instruments (keys and guitar).

A couple of things that I've noticed could be better IMHO:
- The vocals are rather wet compared to the rest of the instrumentation (drums and loop in particular sound rather dry), the reverb/delay you have on the LV is rather bright as well which accentuates the sibilance. I would keep that in check.
- The transition between the parts with the drums loop and the real drums could be better I think. The loop is quite low while the drums have a good level, especially during the solo parts, so the transition is a bit striking.
- The horns lack punch, possibly only a level issue, I'd try to push them a bit, maybe use some parallel compression to get a thicker tone out of them, some widening perhaps as well...

Overall a good mix, thanks for the listen! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and provide your feedback, much appreciated. Glad to hear you enjoyed the work on the lead instruments, they are certainly some great features of the track that deserve to be at the forefront of the mix. In regards to the use of reverb, I was torn between going for a completely dry Steely Dan-esque sort of flavour as opposed to a more wet texture! Valid comments and once again, thanks!

Cheers,
Mick