Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time posting. Desperately seeking feedback.
Howdy Folks,

I've been a musician and audio engineer here in Austin, Tx, USA in one way shape, or form for over 20 years. I even owned a studio for a few years with a gear list that would produce drooling in certain circles. I've worked with talented people, done some work I am proud of, and learned a lot along the way. There have also been some hard knocks, frustration, and seriously unrealized potential mostly because I was too busy or, more often, too proud to ask questions and ask for help and learn from others. So after a couple of decades of faking it til I make it, I'm trying to really learn this craft that has been such a huge part of my life. I'm armed with a decent laptop, REAPER, some mediocre headphones, humility, and a burning desire to learn and contribute.

Thank you to all of those that created this site and those who take time to give feedback. I'll do my best to do my part.

With that said, here is my first posted mix. I'm guessing you figured out......I'd like some feedback. Wink

.mp3    Ben Carrigan-Hey Carrie Anne-Mix by Les Brooks.mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)

Pretty good sounding mix,the only thing that don't sound placed right is the harmonica, maybe its just the verbs not right
but to me it just don't seem to be working at the moment the way it is.
Good work as this is not an easy track to mix.
Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it. I jacked with that harmonica quite a bit. EQ and comp sidechained off the vocal trying to get them to play nice together. I hear what you are talking about. I'll try a little delay and whole different verb send if I need to. Thanks again.
Hi Les,

Sounds pretty solid to me. Things that caught my attention were:
- the call/response vocal part around 2:30 or so - something jumped out .. not sure what, but some sibilance or harshness of some sort
- the electric guitar - I've commented on others about that part... to my ears the part just hurts the music more than it helps (I left it out)
- panning... is everything pretty much up the middle? (I'm listening on headphones if that makes a difference)

Thanks for sharing - happy mixing,
John