Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks: As befits a multitrack showcasing a mic manufacturer's products, there's more multi-miking on this project than some, which makes it a good one for tonal experimentation.
    • The drum tracks comprise two pairs of stereo overhead mics, two mono room mics (front, back), and additional close-mics for kick (in, out), snare, hi-hat, ride, and two toms. A further three tracks are given over to multi-miking a single ensemble handclaps performance.
    • The bass guitar part is provided as a simple DI, whereas the acoustic guitar overdub is triple-miked and the electric guitar overdub has four close-mics and two room mics.
    • The piano overdub has been captured via three close stereo pairs and another stereo pair for the room.
    • The lead vocals (a great performance, this) are provided as three separate recording passes, providing a total of six different mic characters for you to choose from.
    • The two backing vocals are both triple-miked.
    • For more information about the performers and some photos of the recording sessions, check out this page on the Telefunken site.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • With so much multi-miking going on, phase/polarity issues can easily catch you out if you're not careful.
    • There's a lot of tinny-sounding ride spill on the outside kick close-mic.
    • You lose a lot of brightness and level from the hi-hat and cymbals when collapsing either of the stereo overhead recordings to mono.
    • Two of the piano close-mic pairs also have quite strong out-of-phase components, so you need to take care with mono compatibility if you pan them wide.
    • The snare top mic has caught quite a strong drum resonance that doesn't seem to fit the key of the song. Whether that's a problem is largely a question of taste, though...
    • The vocals feature quite a bit of recorded-in room sound, which may tie your hands a bit if you're looking for a drier or more compression-heavy presentation.
  • Some Mixing Tips: Although this isn't a mix I've attempted myself, here are some suggestions that come to mind:
    • The front-of-kit room mic has a great kick 'thump', so I'd personally try to make the most of that, rather than just high-pass filtering the room sound (as many people typically do to keep the kick-drum tight). This kick sound also seems to fit quite well with the raw bass guitar.
    • A notch at 269Hz on the close snare mic can tackle that dissonant ringing, and may therefore help the blend if you plan on using a lot of that signal in the mix.
    • Each tom only has one fill, so most of the time you can just use the tom close mics as extra spill/ambience mics if you want, and then just mult out the fill sections for their own separate processing/panning.
    • Just because you've got lots of multi-miking options available here, that doesn't mean you have to use them all! In particular, I rarely recommend combining vocal close-mics because of the danger of variable inter-mic phasing as the singer moves around while performing.
    • Whichever vocal pass you choose, remember that you can use the others as double- or triple-tracks if you wish. Trying to comp between the passes may prove a fool's errand, though, given that none of the passes use the same mic.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
One of the best recordings!..
Even for Telefunken.

I dont find, the mono compatibility,as an issue, almost all the world hearing in stereo now days
if i am happy with the super wide piano sound i would stick with it and pay the price. Tongue

Great upload Mike thanks!! Smile
(31-10-2013, 08:02 AM)gopener Wrote: I dont find, the mono compatibility,as an issue, almost all the world hearing in stereo now days

Where I live many people carry iphones :-)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yes, here is the same dude..
Bat they carry earplugs too, those they listen from there cellphone speaker, i bet they dont care for the sound at all...

The era of quick consuming.. Tongue
Cool track. I love this sort of tune even though I'm very much a Classic Metal sort of guy. PAZ suggests, as you note, that there is some really phasey stuff going on in here that's more than just flipping polarity or time shifting tracks but that's a great way to learn how to deal with it! I agree that this is a particularly excellent singer.
Old West Audio