Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DarkRide - DeadEnemies
Hey

This one is a challenge hehe
I'm a bit unsure about the reamped guitars since I had to go with Cubase's stock Amp plugin this time lol but I did my best, so...

Here's my first mix, let me know what you think Wink

.mp3    DeadEnemies Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.97 MB)

So you chose this song to be your first mix. You were brave. It actually sounds pretty decent as it is your 1st mix. If I was mixing for the first time I would choose simpler song. I dont know if you mixed drums from drummers or audience perspective (I heard both). 8/10
Hey I meant the first mix of this song, as I intend to mix it again later. It was not my first mix ever, I've been mixing for a while now. Lol that would be mad to take on something like this to begin :p I haven't done a lot of mixing lately though, so I've decided to join these forums to catch on faster

The drums are from the drummer's perspective, with the floor tom to the right. The toms aren't panned too wide, I tried to match them to the overheads as these came, but as I hear today they could be a little louder on the final section. Where did you hear the drums from the audience's perspective?
Maybe it's also the reverbs I used, I'm still trying to find a true stereo freeware reverb. These ones the way I applied them may be clouding the stereo image a bit.

I also think I could have balanced the instruments better towards the end of the song

And thanks for your feedback Wink
The good:
+ Overall balance isn’t bad
+ Bass is full
+ Vocals fit right
+ Overheads aren’t too harsh
+ Synths fit
+ Pretty dope guitar tone for the solo

The bad:
- Guitars are a bit too fizzy for my taste and have a weird reverb on them.
- Drums are a bit too dry
- Lead guitars are way too fizzy. I know you used a stock amp sim but turn on the highs a bit.
- I have no idea what happened to the vocals at 1:39, but I don’t think it fits
- The lead guitar at 2:24 pops out too much
- The snare at the blast beat (3:45) is too loud there. It sounds kind of unnatural, sort of like a trigger

This is pretty damn good for a first mix overall.

Good luck!
- Nick