Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facade - AZ Mix
Okay, here's my take on this one.

I'm not really satisfied withthe way this came out but I was having real trouble getting everything to settle down so figured I'd post this draft and try to elicit suggestions. Part of this is my own making. I went with the "PA slap back" effect on the vocals because I thought that fit the tenor of this sort of subject/tune. That makes the end result kinda peaky on the vocals but you can't really pare that down much without destroying the effect so I tried to rely really heavily on good vocal compression ahead of the effect.

The second problem I had was EG1. I had it sitting pretty well until I realized that one of the mics was out of phase. (I don't mean inverted, I just mean off.) Once I fixed that, the tone of the guitars changed and I had to go back to square one to try to get them to fit but still bite. I'm afraid I wasn't all that sucessful.

The third big issue was getting the bass and guitars to blend together. This was where a good deal of my time was spent. It just didn't seem to work. So to make the bass more prominent, I took one of the tracks and ran it through avalve driver to add some high frequencies to it (that's what overdriven signals do) and also to give me a sharper attack. I then volume automated this track to try to find a balance between vers and chorus.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Suggestions welcome.

(And yes, Mike's mix is much better than mine, obviously, although I'm not sure the harmony parts fit this band--I avoided that in all three mixes--but that's just my take.)

.mp3    facade-v1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

Old West Audio
So I worked on this song a bit more, change compression settings, added in a MIDI suplement to the kick, and generally tried to smooth things out. I think it sounds better than it did but is still not quite what I think it ought to be. Anyway, here it is.

.mp3    facade-v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

Old West Audio