Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dead Enemies - a great challenge
Hey Guys,

first of all, i love that song. Great Music, awesome voice! But these vocals makes me going crazy. It very challenging to fit these into the mix.

I will go on to fix that point. So, thats my latest status.

.mp3    DeadEnemies_master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.37 MB)

Sounds really good man!
Cheers Stickman,

did you read my faq or listened to the ref track? Some of the clean guitars need to be reamped or they will sound muddy and not really "metal". And some vocal parts are not meant to be used "as is" but have to be modified to make sense. Especially the "Dead Enemies"-whisper at 1:38 which sounds incredible lame if you just leave it like it is. You also might wanna lower the kick and bass volume in the "mosh" part at 3:08 to gain some clarity. Last but not least you can't use the snare sample in the blastbeat at 3:43 at that volume - the sample clearly is out of time but if you listen to the miked snare parts you will hear that the snare is in time. you should lower the volume of the sampled snare if you don't want the drummer to sound like an amateur =)

Other then that i really like your mix Smile

one last question: is it possible to to upload a version without mastering/limiting?
Hey Blitzzz,

thanks a lot to share your thoughts about my version 1.

First, yes... Each DI-Guitar was reamped from the beginning but they were a bit muddy and had some panning issues ;-)

Second, i know that these "Dead Enemies"-whisper at 1:38 was very, very lame. i totally agree with that. Tried to fix that.

Regards to the sampled snare. I lower the volume a bit but i dont know if thats makes you happy.

So there is a new Version as mastered and only the mixdown.

Cheers, Eric

.mp3    DeadEnemies_masterV3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.96 MB)

.mp3    DeadEnemies_mixdown_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.04 MB)

Really good job! Good midrange balance. Solid balancing of tracks as well.
sounds better now. You still need to fix the "Dead Enemies"-whisper at 1:38. It sounds awful, is clearly not in time and it destroys the flow of the song if you use it like a regular vocal part. It wasn't meant to be used like that so you should change it really drastically or delete it. The story behind it: When I started mixing Dead Enemies there was a small pause after verse 1 that led into the first chorus but the chorus was very boring so I decided to throw it away. With the chorus gone I needed some sort of transition from verse 1 to verse 2 to keep the flow. So I took the "Dead Enemies"-phrase from the last part of the song and turned it into some sort of creepy background whisper - and it worked. check the ref mix if you wanna hear it for yourself. This is why you can't use it without changing it into some sort of fx - it wasn't there in the first place and it's only there to make the pause between verse 1 and 2 more interesting.

the snare sample is much better but still too loud. try to raise the other snare mics in this part and place the sample in the background - or use the other snare tracks as a trigger for your own sample.