Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Progresivo 1, Mandubien's mix
Hello folks !

Pablo, my HDD thanks you for all these tracks Big Grin
I was quite afraid and did not know where to start. Finally I'm pretty glad of this mix, and hope you will enjoy it as well.

.m4a    Progresivo 1.m4a --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

Overall nice sound and balance though I would bring the drums up more
(09-03-2015, 11:16 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hello folks !

Pablo, my HDD thanks you for all these tracks Big Grin
I was quite afraid and did not know where to start. Finally I'm pretty glad of this mix, and hope you will enjoy it as well.

You are welcome for the complement! We (my assistant and I) recorded with 2 guitars -LTD M100FM and Godin Exit 22- thru an ART TPS II preamp to a motu 2408 original using Waves GTR 3.5. Some takes were made with the same guitars but going thru an old Digitech GSP2101 Artist guitar FX rack (very old and funny stuff, isn´t it?). Drums are Slate and Halion. Bass was recorded with a Yamaha bass, Marshall b65 amp and AKG D112 mic thru the same ART preamp. Sequences are from Symphobia, Halion and some other Cubase 7.5 plugins.

It is interesting the panning you made on the drums, but in my opinion it brakes a little the balance, so maybe in that section if you put a high pitched instrument could fix that, or maybe panning the kick drum... Actually I think that the kick drum thing is a little weird, but I would try that, could be really cool if it works.

I missed the second guitars in the song, am I right? My idea of those guitars at the begining and after the solo was to make a feel o a fatter guitar melody, so maybe rising up a little the volume could make that section more powerful maybe? even that I liked your mix as it is!

Oh, and being honest, I put that little part of guitar at the beginning of the solo to patch the section change. Try to "hide and glue" that part and add delay in 8ths (that is actually my setting everytime y record).

I like the defined sound of the snare, I couldn get it well in my mix, so I feel envy about that now... anyway, thank so much for the complement and trying to mix this song, I´m really proud of that. Let me know if you have some tracks here to mix them too!

pm
Hi Pablo,

Thank you very much for your feedback Smile

I will look for that second guitar. I probably simply forget it, there were so many tracks :p

For the snare, I only used 2 of the tracks (d & e if I remember well). I used some light EQ, parallel compression, and a gated EQed reverb.
For the rest of the drums, I had in mind the kit of Simon Phillips (my drum hero of all time). He uses a huge kit with 7 toms, a gong drum, 2 kicks, 4 octobans and 3 snares (check last Toto bluray, live in Poland 35th anniversary). So I panned all the toms from left to right following their pitch (hi to low). I always keep snare and kick in center (except during the intro, I find panning the snares was quite fun). As a drummer, I tried to imagine myself playing that kit and tried to place each element as I would play them.

I'm currently mixing a demo for my rock band. Vocals have not been recorded yet. I will probably give this song to Mike if my mates are ok with that. Tracking should be done by end of April I guess.
Here's my corrected mix.

I changed some guitars volume (the second guitar during solo was quite low), changed the delays to shorter ones, raised up a little bit the drums as Chuck asked.
I also remixed the bass drum.

.m4a    Progresivo 1 mix 2.m4a --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

(10-03-2015, 11:33 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Here's my corrected mix.

I changed some guitars volume (the second guitar during solo was quite low), changed the delays to shorter ones, raised up a little bit the drums as Chuck asked.
I also remixed the bass drum.
Drums much better volume and presence. Nice mix!
Hi! im listening to the mixes now and sound very powerful! take care with the delays though cos i think it "moved" the melody where another instrument should show up.

One thing i tried a few days ago on an acoustic kick drum: Gate.... Rbass... Compressor....Eq ... it worke nice!

This mix sounds much more balances, but maybe some more "bass-balls" could make it sound even better.

Once again, thanks a lot for working on this mix, I feel really proud of that.

pm