Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Version of Pennies
Hey Guys. So here is my version of "Pennies".

[/code][/quote]

Info: My English is not the best Smile I´m 22, male, coming from Germany Smile

I did some creative Stuff to it (Radio-Like-Drums, Some Delays etc). Pretty happy
with the results.

Drums:
Had some troubles getting the bassdrum-sound the way i wanted because of the snare bleed.
So i triggered it 50:50 with a sample i had on my HDD and that fits the song imo.
Sends: A tiny bit of room-reverb (i inserted a low cut on the send to not overpower the low frequencies in the send).

Snare:
Of course: Phase inverted Smile
I gated the Top-Mic about 70:30, the Bottom Mic is completely undated to maintain the nice sound of the Snare.
Not much EQ, just some Transient Designing (boosted the sustain and lowered the Attack a bit).
Send: Lexicon Plate-Reverb

Toms: Panned hard left Right to let some room for the rest of the band.
Again: Not much Equing. Low-Cut at around 50hz. Boosted the 4k tiny bit.
Send: Lex Plate Reverb (Same as the snare)

Overheads:
Low Cut at 120hz. Some Compression to bring out the hihat, as its not on an extra-track.

Drum-Room:
Compressed it pretty hard and mixed it in a little bit to let Drums be more "Bity".

I Sent all Drum-Tracks (except Bassdrum) to a Group and Compressed it a bit.
This Group-Track (plus the Bassdrum) are now on a 2nd Group Channel.
I did that so that the Bassdrum doesn't overload the compressor too much.

BASS:
I only used the DI Track. Since the 2 Mic-Tracks were too boomy in my opinion.

CLA-2A Compressor, little bit EQ. After that i decided to side chain the bass with the bassdrum track.
Everytime the Bassdrum gets hit, the bass gets a little bit quiter. This makes them more "glued-together".

GUITARS:
Did some Phase-Experiments on the several Mic-Tracks.
Since the Song contains 3 Individual Guitar, i sub-grouped each Guitar, to have better Control over the guitars.
Again, not much EQ, just some Low-Cut and tiny compression.

VOCALS:
RVox on every Vocaltrack. Some Low-Cut, De-Esser and i have inserted a "Tube-Distortion" Plugin to give the vocals more grid.

Sends:
Room-Reverb, Almost constant Delay in the background, since the track contains no Keyboards, Pads etc.
On some Parts i sent the Aux-Send to an dedicated Delay-Effect, distorted it, low-cutted it.

MASTER:
Some substractive Eq and tiny bit of overall sound shaping.
SSLCompressor to bring some extra energy to the song.
L3 UltraMaximizerm to limit it to hell. No just kidding Smile It barely limits.
The Track is already that hot and automated, that it only limits some peak-spikes.

Extras:
In the 1st Verse i cut the bass and added an "Radio-Eq" to the drums, to let the mix build itself up.
In the Outro i inserted for example a reverb-plugin and automated some parameters towards the end. "e.g. Size, Dry/Wet" ..

Guitar and Vocals run into a bus send with a long Delay (with automated Feedback).

Hope you like it. Smile
( New Version in Post #3)
I like the live feel of the kit here, which seems quite believable, and really helps Young Griffo sound like a band. Good work! Smile I'd maybe give the kick a little more midrange, and a little less sub, but that's a question of taste. It just seems to be a bit too quick a tempo for that much sub -- it slows things down, somehow for me.

Nice meaty guitar sounds you've got there, without the abrasiveness that many other Young Griffo mixes I've heard have. and the mono compatibility isn't bad either, so more tick-marks there!

What's the thinking behind the off-centre lead vocal in the first verse? Seems unnecessary, but it's up to you. Otherwise I like a lot of the effects you're using on the vocals -- some subtle blend, if I'm not mistaken, as well as a tasteful dash of tempo delay for the choruses for size. A man after my own heart!

Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed listening to your version a lot. The detail in your post is also fantastic -- great insight for any mixing students reading this!
(19-02-2013, 10:30 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: I like the live feel of the kit here, which seems quite believable, and really helps Young Griffo sound like a band. Good work! Smile I'd maybe give the kick a little more midrange, and a little less sub, but that's a question of taste. It just seems to be a bit too quick a tempo for that much sub -- it slows things down, somehow for me.

Nice meaty guitar sounds you've got there, without the abrasiveness that many other Young Griffo mixes I've heard have. and the mono compatibility isn't bad either, so more tick-marks there!

What's the thinking behind the off-centre lead vocal in the first verse? Seems unnecessary, but it's up to you. Otherwise I like a lot of the effects you're using on the vocals -- some subtle blend, if I'm not mistaken, as well as a tasteful dash of tempo delay for the choruses for size. A man after my own heart!

Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed listening to your version a lot. The detail in your post is also fantastic -- great insight for any mixing students reading this!

Thanks for your reply.

The Bassdrum Sample already was "clicky". Because of that i rolled of some off at 12khz.
Nice to hear that you liked my mix Smile

I did this new mix.

I got rid of some sub-basses in the bassdrum and highcuted the room-mic a bit, cause it catched to much cymbals imo.

Don´t know ecxactly what i also changed. But i bet you´ll hear that Smile

Ps.: Also tried out some Tape-Compression in the Masterbus, and got rid of the SSL-Compressor, since i find the Tapecompression more subtle.

.mp3    New Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.94 MB)