Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pray for the Rain
I've been hoping we would see these multitracks since the excellent article by Mike Senior on producing the song. My mix here for your comments.

44.1k/16 download also at: https://soundcloud.com/jeffd42/pray-for-...n-mastered

(Updated with Final Mix)

.mp3    PFTR Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.64 MB)

All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Made a few tweaks to de-ess the lead vocal better, and better automate some of the tom hits (updated on original post)
Hey Jeff - cool stuff - thanks for mixing the track ! I enjoyed the dynamics in your mix - second chorus intensity was higher, I heard the bass building in the bridge and during the outro you brought up the guitar intensity - nice

I observed a couple of things that I thought I would pass on. The vocal part seemed subdued in its balance vs the other parts - both level and frequency - which really pushed it back in the mix. I also thought a bit of glue reverb would help with some cohesion - sometimes the drums /vocals/ guitars felt like they weren't in the same space - maybe intentional.

Cool creative effects on guitars too Smile

Cheers

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for your feedback.

A great song, really nice arrangement and stellar vocals. For some reason the guitar solos reminded me of earlier Gilmore/Pink Floyd, so were mixed accordingly Smile

There is indeed a lot of automation on this mix to pluck out interesting fills and build dynamics. I really liked the bass guitar in this track. I had muted once and noticed then how much it ties the song together.

I agree with you on the lead vox. I never got that to sit right. Part of it was the recording is very clean. I've added a UA-610B pre for a little subtle warmth and, in the louder portions, a bit more grit. I also backed off slightly on an L2A compressor, so the dynamics come through a bit better now.

To your question on the soundstage: The mix by Mike Senior used a lot of reverb, so I thought I'd go for a different presentation with the lead vocal floating more in front of the mix (as most chart singles do.) There is also a global hall reverb in there to help pinpoint some of the instruments in the soundstage, but it's very subtle.

My updated mix is attached.

Thank you very much for sharing your song and multitracks with us. I'm sure I speak for many on the forum in saying we'd be happy to try our hand at any future multitracks you wish to post!

Cheers, Jeff

overall a good job. But it seems to me that the vocals are not quite there, but this is purely my opinion.Smile
(30-03-2015, 07:37 PM)Archi_Drumu Wrote: overall a good job. But it seems to me that the vocals are not quite there, but this is purely my opinion.Smile

Yes, I'd have to agree. I've tried a different reverb treatment on this version, to soften the lead vocal a little. Its a fine balance between not pushing it too far back in the mix, but also letting the vocal sit properly in the same space with the other instruments. As usual, that required some verse/chorus/etc automation on the aux send (shouldn't have been lazy, and done that in the first place!)

Had a chance to go back and try my hand at mastering this track (updated on original post)

Hi Jeff - sounding solid ! I really like the effects in your mix. It makes it distinctive. I took a quick listen on my avantone speaker - there may still be a little missing in the low mids - primarily the vocals. Take it with a grain of salt, as I'm not a pro. I like the direction overall though - and the guitars Smile

Cheers

Thomas

PS - I do have the next song I could share. A few people have asked me now. I guess I'll drop Mike a note and see about potential next steps.
Hi Jeff I agree with what Thomas Stevenson said about the vocals, I think you have too much low end on the drums and bass if you could cut back on that then I think you can then add more warmth to the vocals, don't get me wrong though its a nice mix,great track by the way Thomas Stevenson, can't wait to have a go mixing it myself.
Thank you Thomas and Cudjoe. Haven't listened to this one for a while -- and I agree, the mastering EQ was off (and not by a little!). I've done my best to correct, and updated. Thomas, would be great if you have a new track to share. I'm sure (judging by this thread) many will try their hand at mixing it. Cheers, Jeff

.mp3    Pray for the Rain - Mastered II.mp3 --  (Download: 12.89 MB)