Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dead Enemies NosMix
Mixing this was a real trip to somewhere I don't usually go. A good challenge

.mp3    Dead Enemies.mp3 --  (Download: 12.99 MB)

Sounds like you didn't read the faq =) Some of the DI guitar tracks are still clean and need to be reamped, and some of the vocal parts are not meant to be "mixed as is" but need to be changed to fit the flow (like the vocal part at 1:36)

The mix itself sounds chaotic and not very "clean" but I somehow like it. It's nothing I would release because fans of this music expect a different, much cleaner and punchier mix. Still, ist was intersting to listen to your mix besides all the things that I don't like. Just to name a few: muddy kick which doesn't really work for fast doublebass parts, thin guitars (where did all the mids go?), thin snare. The blast beat at 3:42 reveals much of those flaws as your mix totally falls apart.
I did read the faq. I did reamp all the Di guitar tracks. Tried a few things on the vocals but in the end I ran out of time and couldn't find anything I liked.

I Agree my mix is a bit chaotic in the top end. I boosted everything too much above 1khz and the mud built up. I set myself time limits on these things and at a certain point there was no going back. But I did keep referring back to the original mix to 'keep in the ballpark' in terms of tonality.

My kick is not muddy it punches hard. The problem I think is that my kick punches at 40hz and perhaps doesn't have enough punch higher up around 80 to 100hz. I listened in my car after reading your comment and I do admit that the definition on less than ideal playback systems does suffer a bit but I still think it is quite powerful. (Of course I'm no expert in this genre so in the end I'll defer to your opinion here)

(where did all the mids go?) I boosted the guitar high end too much. However I do have to say that the reference mix overall is also very scooped in the mids and although my mix lacks Gtr mids and is a bit brighter and my kick is lower (Hmmm I was going to say my tonality was in the ballpark)

My snare is not thin. Its punchy.

In the end I would say there are somethings about my mix that I think are better than the reference mix eg. the vocal and the piano solo and the low end but overall the reference mix is a clearer mix across the top end with more definition in the gtrs and probably a lot more in line with genre expectations about which I have really no clue.

PS. I never listen to this type of music however over the course of mixing this I really came to quite enjoy this track and now find myself listening back. So as ABBA would say 'Thank-you for the music'