Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ambitions" mix.
Here is my go at this mix. Let me know of any suggestions.

.mp3    Allhandslost--mix03 waves+--final master3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

A pretty convincing picture of this multitrack, this. Lots of size illusion and a good thick texture to the general bass/guitar/drums texture. Balance is reasonable too, although I feel you could probably do more to reduce masking here and gain a bit more clarity. There's a tendency towards muddiness in the low mids -- this kind of style usually needs a very careful balancing in that region with your EQ -- and the vocals are getting a bit muffled, primarily by the cymbals, which feel more prominent that they really need to be. If you listen to a lot of heavy rock tracks, you'll hear that the cymbals are often squeezed into a surprisingly small amount of mix real estate.

The toms sound rather uncontrolled too -- far too resonant and boomy in relation to the rest of the kit, and without any real front-end definition. I'd go back to the drawing board with those myself.

I like the little stereo delay on the verse vocal. Tickles my ear nicely. I do wonder whether you could differentiate the prechorus vocal sound, though, simply from an arrangement-variety perspective. There's precious little else in the track that you can use to do this, so I'd make use of the vocals for this myself.
I had some time, so I revised this a bit. I tried to pin the cymbals back some, and tightened up the toms. Reduced a bit of the low end mud, and tightened up the overall dynamic range. I am struggling to define the bass guitar in an acceptable way, but it is in the ball park at this point I think.

Regardless, Mike, thanks so much for what you have done here on this website. Your work is definitely not under-appreciated. Thanks again.

.mp3    All Hands Lost -- Ambitions-- Revision 1 -- Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.86 MB)

Hey dude, good stuff! The revised version was better on the cymbals. For some reason the vocals still seem a little buried in the mix. Did you make sure to carve out some frequency space for the vocals to sit in comfortably? Guitars sound great! Overall good sounding mix though. It would be awesome if you check my mix too and give me feedback back too! Thanks!