Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speak Softly - Broken Man
Hey,

This mix is a little drier than the original. I thought a dry up-font vocal might help make the vocal sound more intimate. Not sure if it worked though.

I found the tail of the snare hit in the original a bit annoying, felt it kept pulling me to the right. I had a go at addressing it but my mix still does so a little bit.

Over the last while I've noticed that although my mixes aren't "technically" disastrous, they are very dull and boring. This one being a prime example if compared to the original. I also find they can be a little heavy in the lower mids. Dodgy

Opinions? Big Grin

Regards

.mp3    Speak Softly - Broken Man.mp3 --  (Download: 3.78 MB)

Vocal is good, Bass is very good (I had a lot of trouble with the sub-lows (there's nothing else?!), and I think is not too muddy although it could benefit from some 14K+ and the only thing I really noticed from the start is the almost mono image of the mix. Maybe some widening would help pull open the track from verse to chorus?
- You can't have everything in life. Where would you put it? -
I know what you're talking about: that the mix seems "accurate" but lacks life. Have you found anything in the intervening years that helps? I would guess it has to do with your unwillingness to step "out of the box". Don't be too scared to push the envelope in a couple ways. Try overbalancing something, adding distortion, using too much compression in some section, etc.