Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAY ME PLAY ME!
Here's my mix. Let me know what you think. Honest feedback only please!

.mp3    HOWLIN_4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.17 MB)

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Really good mix this. Nice low end punch. The music is quite scooped in the mids but that suits the song and allows the vocal to shine. Really nice the only thing I found myself yearning for was a bit of tempo synced vocal delay in those quiet moments but thats just me and I tend to over do those thingsSmile
Well crumbs, man, this is a thing of beauty. It's late where I live so I'm on the reference headphones, keep that in mind.

First impression is that the arp found in the intro and throughout the track is a teeny bit intrusive and could use a bit more roll off in the upper spectrum. Not too bad, but a little fatiguing for me personally.

Transitions are beautiful, and apart from the slight excess in the high mid to treble (for my taste, I suppose) the spectrum is very well managed. Nice round vocal sound throughout, and the guitar grooves in the verses are exceptional. I feel like there could be a bit more bass, but in my reference cans that's very hard to say... I'll check on my monitors tomorrow.

One thing I'm hearing that could use a but of fine tuning is the occasional instance where vocal reverb is saturating the mix a bit, maybe occupying a little too much space and subjectively slowing down the choruses a bit. From what I can tell, the reverb could benefit from a bit more predelay and a slightly more diffuse decay. Your reverb has this beautiful plate characteristic, but much as expected with a plate, the tail is really dense and could use a bit more "scattering out" if that makes any sense. I love the sound, but I think it's robbing the beat of it's power slightly.

Overall, this is lovely work. Thanks for sharing.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(02-03-2015, 04:21 AM)Nos Wrote: Really good mix this. Nice low end punch. The music is quite scooped in the mids but that suits the song and allows the vocal to shine. Really nice the only thing I found myself yearning for was a bit of tempo synced vocal delay in those quiet moments but thats just me and I tend to over do those thingsSmile

Thank you for the feedback. Yes I actually began to experiment with a running delay on the vocals but I couldn't find one I liked. I definitely should have put a delay on some of the words but after spending so much time on other parts I just wanted to finish. Thanks again though.

(02-03-2015, 07:24 AM)pauli Wrote: Well crumbs, man, this is a thing of beauty. It's late where I live so I'm on the reference headphones, keep that in mind.

First impression is that the arp found in the intro and throughout the track is a teeny bit intrusive and could use a bit more roll off in the upper spectrum. Not too bad, but a little fatiguing for me personally.

Transitions are beautiful, and apart from the slight excess in the high mid to treble (for my taste, I suppose) the spectrum is very well managed. Nice round vocal sound throughout, and the guitar grooves in the verses are exceptional. I feel like there could be a bit more bass, but in my reference cans that's very hard to say... I'll check on my monitors tomorrow.

One thing I'm hearing that could use a but of fine tuning is the occasional instance where vocal reverb is saturating the mix a bit, maybe occupying a little too much space and subjectively slowing down the choruses a bit. From what I can tell, the reverb could benefit from a bit more predelay and a slightly more diffuse decay. Your reverb has this beautiful plate characteristic, but much as expected with a plate, the tail is really dense and could use a bit more "scattering out" if that makes any sense. I love the sound, but I think it's robbing the beat of it's power slightly.

Overall, this is lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent feedback, thank you very much. All the points you touched on I agree with, just didn't have the motivation to correct since everything else took so much longer. The points you hit on are areas I need to work on and will be focusing on them for my next mix.

Thanks again, I look forward to sharing feedback with you on other projects.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Great sound. But you could use wider paning on back vocals and delay on main one. But all in all, good job.
(02-03-2015, 09:41 PM)Obelix Wrote: Great sound. But you could use wider paning on back vocals and delay on main one. But all in all, good job.

Thank you for your feedback, I agree.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Great punchy mix.

Particularly liked the Kick, Bass and Snare (more of the handclap version of it), giving a more EDM style interpretation to the mix.

The top end was slightly too brittle for me, but that's purely taste (and probably the treatment you have is more suited to the genre targeted.)

Great job.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42