Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'Set Me Free'
Here's my version.For any criticism will be grateful.

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_SetMeFree5.mp3 --  (Download: 5.51 MB)

Hey Alexander, that's quite different! You opted for a rather wet spacious sound.
I suppose it's a taste thing but I'm not sure it serves this song the best.
The Rhodes is very effected and takes a lot of stereo space, making a lot of the instrumentation a bit blurry.
It's rather bad during the more driven moment when a cleaner/dryer sound would give more power IMHO.
The guitar and bgvs are also quite wet and I think you might want to lower the reverb level overall, perhaps make some sections drier than others? I have the impression of a big stadium sound from your mix and it loses some of the immediate power that I think suits the song more.
Hope that makes sense. As I said it's possibly a taste thing and I might be too used to hear this one drier, so I would seek other's opinions on that... but if I were to vote for a kind of sound, I wouldn't say yours has my preference.
Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Patrick, how you this option?
Sounds punchier, don't you think?
A few things I noticed: the toms are very loud and overpower the rest of the kit, also I'm a bit missing the horns during the chorus. I know it's not the easiest to mix because it's a stereo track only but I think it could get more volume and presence.
The whole track seems to have been pushed during the guitar solo, did you automate some volume/compression there? It suddenly sounds bigger there, which is cool BTW.
Good job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(01-03-2015, 08:11 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Sounds punchier, don't you think?
A few things I noticed: the toms are very loud and overpower the rest of the kit, also I'm a bit missing the horns during the chorus. I know it's not the easiest to mix because it's a stereo track only but I think it could get more volume and presence.
The whole track seems to have been pushed during the guitar solo, did you automate some volume/compression there? It suddenly sounds bigger there, which is cool BTW.
Good job! Smile
Hi Patrick!
I hope you like this version
You should leave the previous versions online, otherwise the comment don't make sense and some people would find that educational to hear what you have done and compare...
Your new version sounds fine to me. Good job! Smile

Some air moved here
(08-03-2015, 08:34 PM)ptalbot Wrote: You should leave the previous versions online, otherwise the comment don't make sense and some people would find that educational to hear what you have done and compare...
Your new version sounds fine to me. Good job! Smile

Patrick! What can you say about such an option

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_SetMeFree6.mp3 --  (Download: 5.51 MB)

Sounds like you had some fun with this one! Wink
I like the Rhodes sound, it's round and goes nicely with the bass which is quite round as well in your mix. I like the subdued delays you've put on the lead vocals, nice touch!
The change in the percussion loop I'm less convinced of... I'm not fond of the kick, that is giving a much different rhythm than the rest of the instruments are, so it's a bit of a mismatch there, also it's a bit repetitive, I think it would sound better if it was not there again before the end chorus...
Finally the lead guitar solo is quite loud, the tone is nice, but I think you could lower its level by a good 2 to 3db...
Great job overall! Smile

Some air moved here